Esteemed Contributor

Since you all seem so knowledgeable (as I have been on here off and on for years), I thought Id ask if anyone has info on getting rid of eczema?.

First let me say I see a dermatologist because I had skin cancer last year (and it was cut out of my face). 

Well now at 62 yrs old for the first time in my life, I have eczema all over my arms! The dermatologist gave me (pricey) steroid cream and Ive used it 1 and 1/2 months so far and all it does is relieve some itch for a few hours. Eczema is still there and itch comes back! (I go back to dermatology in 4 months)

Does anyone have any suggestions of things you may have tried for it?

To add- Coincidentally my husband suffered with bad eczema for years (especially in the heat at his job), and this is the first year that he only has one little patch! I joke he gave his to me! (hes allergic to everything and I understand this ties in with asthma? which I do not have but he does).

And get this, my husband has rosacea all over his face now instead, so bad that he is on pills for life! (from the dermatologist) He just started the pills along with cream so will see if that helps his rosacea.

These arent the worst problems in the world of course, (just annoying) but I cant get over that I just got eczema at my age and he just got rosacea at his age. (Weird!.lol))

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

Triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% ointment works for me to relieve the itching when I have a bad case of eczema.  It is hard on the skin leaving it very dry.  I think that CeraVe moisturizing cream (buy at almost any store) helps my skin retain moisture contributing to a decrease in flare ups.

libby's folly
Trusted Contributor

the only product that really works fast on my eczema is TriDermaMD, I always bought it from the vermont country store in a jar, but I recently found it in a tube at Wal-Mart. I get it all over me usually during the winter months and this cream is a lifesaver especially for the itching.

Esteemed Contributor

If it's a contact dermatitis you should also give some thought to what the skin on your arms is coming in touch with on a regular basis. Your sheets, your blankets, your towels, the sleeves on your clothes? If you don't use one of the many unscented & dye free detergents now available you should switch to one of them. Same if you use fabric softener whether liquid or sheets, use unscented dye free. And a mild scent free soap, Basis would be one. 

I would think if it's any moisturizer you're using on your arms that your hands would also be driving you to itch hell. Although years ago when I had raging eczema on my hands before learning what not to let my hands come in contact with it was the only place I had it. For example applying moisturizers on arms & legs only made my hands flare. Switching to all dye & scent free made a world of difference. Prior to that even folding laundry caused a flare. 

One day mine disappeared then reappeared in one ear (weird). Had a liquid med, betamethasone something or other for that then that went away and came back in the form of one patch on the back of my head. That went away finally and so far so good.

One of my kids, when very young, had patches of it but only on her face. Sometimes our bodies are weird how only one area can be so affected by something. 

Valued Contributor

I’m not an expert on eczema by any means but about ten years ago my adult son developed a patch on his face which really bothered him because he had always had perfect skin. He went to a dermatologist who gave him a steroid based cream which temporarily cleared it up but then it came back with a vengeance and spread further when he stopped using it. Another doctor gave him a script for a very expensive medication which had warnings that it could disrupt his immune system and required close monitoring and blood work every three months! I was horrified and urged him to reconsider taking it which thankfully he did. 

Anyway, I happened to see a tube of Aveeno Eczema Therapy. It has a light blue cap and is stocked in the first aid section of our CVS not the skin care section. I gave it to my son and within a week his face was clear! It has great reviews online. I realize skin conditions are very complicated and unique to the individual but you might want to give it a try. It can’t hurt and maybe it will help. I hope so.

Trusted Contributor

Honestly the only thing that works for me is amcinonide. Not sure if that's the cream you got but it too is crazy expensive.

I have figured out in my case it's heat that causes it to flare so my hands are bad all summer. I can keep it a little in check by making sure to rinse my hands in cold water after washing them or doing dishes. If I had it other spots I'd probably try to stand a cool shot in the shower before getting out. That at least keeps it tolerable so I'm not flying through that expensive cream. It's still there but I'm less likely to start scratching at it which really gets it going.

Respected Contributor

Re: Eczema treatments?

[ Edited ]

Don't wait 4 months to go back to your derm! That's way tooooo long. I had a bad eruption on my hands & my derm had to give me I believe cortisone injections in the buttocks. Two times.  He then prescribed a very expensive topical which I didn't buy so I asked for a less expensive brand and I got a generic product Fluocionide cream,0.05% which worked. I believe it's less than $25.00.

Good luck and do go back to your derm or get another one to see you ASAP. No need to suffer for 4 months. Be assertive!  Over the counter products that lay claim to help with eczema is a waste of time & $.

Honored Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

Triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% ointment works for me to relieve the itching when I have a bad case of eczema.  It is hard on the skin leaving it very dry.  I think that CeraVe moisturizing cream (buy at almost any store) helps my skin retain moisture contributing to a decrease in flare ups.

I have it in my ears, and that RX is what I use too, commonly called Synalar Cream

Esteemed Contributor

Ultra Repair First Ai Beauty Cream works on some problem skin issues. I know I use it for posion ivy, etc. (as long as it isn't blistering) Benedryl or Cortizone oinitment might work as well for the itch. The First Aid cream seems to work for both the itch and the skin in our family. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Eczema treatments?

[ Edited ]

First Aid Repair cream is my #1 choice but NOT for Eczema. OTC products won't help you fight the flair-up of eczema.