Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I read a lengthy post on Facebook this morning, from an Optometrist, about the possible dangers of looking at the sun during an eclipse, even through "approved" glasses. 

My husband and I are throwing our glasses away today and will be watching it on tv.

I know that when I was a child we watched through a pinhole in a box, but I'm too skittish to watch now, through a box or through glasses. 

Your thoughts?

I saw an episode on tv this morning stating that the approved glasses are marked 202 something.  I should have taped it.  Anyway when you purchase an approved pair you should not be able to see anything.  If you can see you hand in front of your face you have the wrong glasses.

Valued Contributor

I will watch the eclipse on TV.  I will not risk any eye damage as I fully do not trust that the glasses will protect my eyes.  Our newscasters said that even if the glasses has the right numbers they can be fakes.  

Honored Contributor

On a local radio station today they said that Amtrak was offering a package from Chicago to Central/Southern Illinois as that is where the best viewing will take place.  It sold out in less than a day, great idea on Amtrak's part.

Honored Contributor

The approved glasses are marked ISO 12312-2.  There is a way to test them in advance if you feel yours might be fakes.  I'll look for that test later.  

Honored Contributor

I see that yellow919 has posted how to tell if you have the right glasses to use!

Respected Contributor

I am in the path of total eclipse and I'm really excited.  I have my glasses ready.  They are ISO approved.  Someone said the glasses are only for when the moon totally covers the sun and that's backwards.  You need the glasses when any part of the sun is showing.  If you are getting total darkness, you can watch that part without the glasses.  In my area I should see the total eclipse for about 2 minutes.  It's once in a lifetime for me. 

Honored Contributor

@smoky22  You're right.  Hope you enjoy it. I'll get to see it for a few seconds more than you, but will be happy to take part. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I read a lengthy post on Facebook this morning, from an Optometrist, about the possible dangers of looking at the sun during an eclipse, even through "approved" glasses. 

My husband and I are throwing our glasses away today and will be watching it on tv.

I know that when I was a child we watched through a pinhole in a box, but I'm too skittish to watch now, through a box or through glasses. 

Your thoughts?

The event is not as important as everyone makes it out to be.....

Very reminiscent  of the Stonhenge pagans 

"Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...

Blinded by the Light"

@hopi  What are the words to that song after the line  "blinded by the light"?  I have always just made up words while singing this song LOL because I couldn't tell what they were saying.  Do you know?  Who sings it?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

There is eclipse fever in my area of Kentucky since we are in the direct path of the eclipse.

I am not particularly concerned about a random post from an optometrist posted on Facebook.  If this were the case there would be all kinds of warnings from various optometrists & their national association on the news and other websites.  But in fact the American Optometric Association has tips for watching the eclipse on their website.  They don't say anything about it being risky to watch with approved glasses, and encourage people to watch it with approved glasses. Highly unlikely the national associaton would do so if it was risky to watch with approved glasses.

I do think it is a concern that some companies are selling glasses that are not the proper glasses.  But if someone is really interested and wants to watch it, there is plenty of information about the NASA approved companies that are selling the glasses and ways to test the glasses once you get them.

If someone isn't interested then of course  it isn't a problem.  Many TV stations along with NASA will be broadcasting the eclipse.

I have our glasses here and plan on watching the eclipse.  In fact, we will be making a short trip to a relative that is in the 100% area.  But heck, even if we stayed home we will be in the 96% area so one way or another I will be watching.  That is that the weather is cooperative.  lol 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Re: Eclipse revisited

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota   I agree with  everything you said.  All optometrists in my area are on board with watching this event, as long as we take the proper precautions.  Easy enough to do.

I hope you have the best weather conditions in your part of the country.  The long range forecast for where I'm heading is for clear skies.  Looking forward to this!