Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Where is the best place to buy good eclipse glasses?

Our local news stated that some public libraries have them. @ValuSkr

And they are supposed to be FREE. @ValuSkr

Respected Contributor
Some glasses sold by Amazon for eclipse being recalled. PLEASE Be AWARE
Respected Contributor

Re: Eclipse revisited

[ Edited ]

IMO there is no need to risk one's vision to see the eclipse. 

The way I see it, it's the SUN. If humanity had figured out a way to protect us from the sun's harmful rays, we wouldn't be so at risk for skin cancer etc.

No scientist truly knows how powerful and dangerous the sun really is since it hasn't been explored so how the heck are they supposed to make eclipse safe glasses?

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

I am tired of hearing about the eclipse.

I have no interest in it, nor do I plan to even "watch" it. The schools are closed...and they took one of the teacher workdays away to accomodate it.

That being said, what irks me is all the merchandising going on with this naturally occurring event. T shirts, glasses, hotel rooms being booked up, etc etc..it has turned in to a money making scheme.

They have even added 160 state troopers to the roads that day in our state.

Ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

Not even gonna get the "whole thing" where I live.    Maybe I'll watch it on TV.     Maybe not...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Where is the best place to buy good eclipse glasses?

Our local news stated that some public libraries have them. @ValuSkr

And they are supposed to be FREE. @ValuSkr

@SilleeMee  @gidgetgh   Our science center is holding events at some public places around the city and will have approved glasses available free for those who come to the events.  The science center has also supplied a chain local business with glasses & instructions from the science center for using them.   One of the center's events is near me so I may go if the weather is good and get their free glasses.  With them, I would look directly at the eclipse but not for more than a second or two at a time - I certainly wouldn't gaze at it.   We will only be able to see part of it from where I live, not the eclipse in total but quite a bit of it.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh

@Pearlee@Desertdi@RedHeadedWench@NycVixen

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/eclipse-over-america.html?utm_source=FBPAGE&utm_medium=social&utm...

After viewing this NASA video, in which a doctor graphically the damage that occurs, I decided not to chance it unless using the indirect keyhole method with the DGCs.

The glasses are only to be used when the moon FULLY covers the sun.

BEWARE!

Oh and, by now the glasses are priced at highway robbery values.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

E8ED9EC8-6DD5-44AF-A5FD-DFD3C6F16301-55492-000028B8D979A6F4.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@gidgetgh

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/eclipse-over-america.html?utm_source=FBPAGE&utm_medium=social&utm...

After viewing this NASA video, in which a doctor graphically the damage that occurs, I decided not to chance it unless using the indirect keyhole method with the DGCs.

BEWARE!

@LTT1  Not when they are being given out for free by our science center.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@gidgetgh

BEWARE!

@LTT1- I got ours, on the approved NASA list, about three weeks ago at Lowes for $1.98 each. But we're not going to use them. As I mentioned, I'm a little anxious about the whole thing so we'll just watch coverage at home, either on tv or online. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?