Trusted Contributor

Re: Eclipse- did anyone experience first hand?

• @hoosieroriginal,In CT we could watch a partial eclipse by 3:00 pm however we went to the planetarium with the astronomers and then watched NASA's Chanel on tv their pictures were amazing🌻
Honored Contributor

Experienced it is Southern Illinois.....wow....very exciting .....daylight slowly becoming dark.....then total darkness.....a minute later lightness came again....amazing!!  

Traffic was horrible.....never expected so many people on the road!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in PA. 75% here and people were gushing over it. lol. and there were parties on roof tops and all over.

Well, I looked out all during it and it was too cloudy here but never got dark.

I did see some semi good pics from people who went to the buildings on top of the nearby city and my son took a pic at work w his iphone of the moon looking like a crescent going towards the sun. (He works in the city) I live in the country.

So basically just ok IF you didn't have clouds, but  the best pics were online from people out west. So I'm glad now I never could find glasses!

Anyway the next one in 2024 will be OVER PA here so it will be a total one. 

My husband was working and he could care less, he thought the hoopla was stupid for here. I don't think its stupid IF you were in the 100%. But I wouldn't travel to see it for minutes. I saw it good onine and tv.

ANd PS lots of people took pics with their cellphones here and my cousin in S Carolina (including my son here in PA as I said) and no ones phone got damaged so that wasn't true that it would damage phone cameras!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Did anyone see sun snakes?

I did get some pictures kind of like this by using a colander:

EC0CC1BB-C1A2-4310-B25E-3EAF695F4EB0-202-0000000978AB76E4.jpeg

Shadows in crescent shapes.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1EXCELLENT!  I never would have thought of using a collander.  Smart cookie you!

Esteemed Contributor

I think we only got about an 85% totality in the Vancouver B.C. Canada area which isn't enough to make a significant change in the daylight. Since the eclipse was in the morning I could feel the temperature drop as you could not feel the heat from the sun on your back. It felt like an early spring day. The sunlight was a bit filtered looking -- almost as if it was early spring but the skys were beautiful and clear. Maybe like the other poster suggested -- like a very slight haze due to wildfire smoke which we had a week ago for at least 2 weeks -- that was awful. We got a lot of haze though due to the wildfires -- enough to block the blue sky -- and we had orange full moons at that time at night.

During the eclipse I mowed the lawn since it was not hot outside. Once the eclipse was over it warmed up a lot and we had a hot afternoon.

Honored Contributor

I experienced a total eclipse in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  It was so beautiful!   It did get very dark as well as cold, even though the day had been warm up until that point.  Yes, I saw the sun snakes!

my favorite part was the "diamond ring".  Everyone in my family group is looking forward to seeing another one in the future.  We're hooked!