Super Contributor

Re: Eclipse- did anyone experience first hand?

@MacDUFF glad to know I am not alone hahaha....I had just said to a guy I work with "make sure you don't look up without putting those glasses back on" and what did I do?

It happens to me every time I have to have an MRI too. As soon as they say "you must stay completely still and not move your leg" all I can think about is I must move my leg!

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Esteemed Contributor

@catchersmom

I'm glad I'm not alone either LOL!   So funny about the MRI...a perfect example!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Pretty cool here in lower central NC!  We had a big eclipse watching party in an open field.  Lord knows what people thought was going on.. Offices were empty.

I think I got some interesting pics, we'll have to wait & see!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Where I am on the East Coast it was supposed to be about 60%, I went outside but didn't look up because I didn't have the glasses. Looked all around trees for the patterns and thought I saw one but it's probably just a regular shadow. It got a bit darker and cooler. I got a nice picture of a butterfly on a butterfly bush and just enjoyed nature.

In 2024 if I'm still around and still living where I do it's supposed to be almost totality, 90 + percent.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 2024 is not that far away either!

I heard on the news this morning that the people living in the small town of Carbondale, Illinois (hope I got that name right) were in 100% this year and will also be 100% totality in 2024.

I have some friends in Illinois; might be a good time for a visit.

@Drythe hope your pictures turned out too! If you can please post them. I haven't been able to catch much of the live coverage today and would love to see them Smiley Happy

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Esteemed Contributor

@catchersmom wrote:

South Carolina here and I second what my neighbor in northern Georgia said in her post---coolest thing I've ever seen.

Did anyone else in the path notice the change in your shadow? It became so sharp; I could see every individual strand of hair on my head in my shadow. So neat! Also, it looked like the sun was setting in the east.....the sky turned that orangey kind of glow. We had some clouds move in but were so fortunate to have them break at the right moments. We were able to see the full progression and totality.

I made a wish. Not sure if that works but it seemed like the best doggone time to do such a thing Smiley Wink

@catchersmom, NC in an area of totality here.  I have too many trees for a good eastern or northern view but did see the setting sun effect both in the west and to the south.  Was a little bit disorienting.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know if it was just where I am in SE FL, but it came a bit early and I sensed it when driving home from work.  Just a 50% darkening, and a silencing, esp. of birds.  It was raining lightly.  It brightened up soon after.

My cat Claire, who senses all storms about a day early, was alert and watching as the landscape darkened in mid-afternoon--but she wasn't scared. 

Percy, my boy cat, was snoozing in oblivion on his easy chair. He probably decided that I personally chose to darken the sky outside of schedule from some weird whim. He feels the same way when I vacuum.Smiley Happy

I posted elsewhere that when I was around 12 I observed a total eclipse and it was such a peak experience that I didn't care about 89% this time. 

I did expect more darkness than we got.  Maybe half an hr--and about 1/2 hour early?  So I did see a kind of spooky twilight as I left work mid-afternoon.  It was cool.

Esteemed Contributor

Smiley Very Happy

Image result for eclipse meme

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I don't know if it was just where I am in SE FL, but it came a bit early and I sensed it when driving home from work.  Just a 50% darkening, and a silencing, esp. of birds.  It was raining lightly.  It brightened up soon after.

My cat Claire, who senses all storms about a day early, was alert and watching as the landscape darkened in mid-afternoon--but she wasn't scared. 

Percy, my boy cat, was snoozing in oblivion on his easy chair. He probably decided that I personally chose to darken the sky outside of schedule from some weird whim. He feels the same way when I vacuum.Smiley Happy

I posted elsewhere that when I was around 12 I observed a total eclipse and it was such a peak experience that I didn't care about 89% this time. 

I did expect more darkness than we got.  Maybe half an hr--and about 1/2 hour early?  So I did see a kind of spooky twilight as I left work mid-afternoon.  It was cool.

@Burnsite

Our cats must be related - Mommers (me), is responsible for all.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

99.2%. Witnessed eclipse-o-rama from college campus courtyard, moon music playing and moonpies handed out. Dancing in The Moonlight and Moon Shadow to name two 70s songs. Surprised how many students knew the lyrics. Didn't see anyone with tin foil hats, but evening classes cancelled due to power outage in some of our buildings...... I know 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau