Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eclipse- did anyone experience first hand?

@Laura14 wrote:
North Georgia here and this is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

@Laura14, I'm just a little north of you in NC.  It was cool.

Clouds moved in about 6 minutes before totality but fortunately they were high so there wasn't complete obstruction.  Moments before totality the clouds broke apart enough that we had a clear view.  Clouds back big time now.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

90% coverage just 30 miles outside of Chicago.  I stopped at Walgreens and when I was checking out one of the guys that works there had the glasses.  He was nice enough to let me wear them.  It was beautiful the moon had covered the sun except the 10% of the top which looked like a banana but more of a golden orange color.  It actually was brighter outside when this happened.  When you look through the glasses the lenses are completely black.  I have to say it was exciting to see it.  HeartCat Surprised

kindness is strength
Contributor

South St. Louis Counry, Missouri, 100%!!  . .from my driveway. Temperature dropped, full corona, "diamond ring", everything anticipated was present.  Whole experience far too short.

Honored Contributor

I believe we were in the low 80's percentage wise, and is was kind of cloudy and a bit overcast here.

I had no glasses, but sat outside for almost two hours to experience it.

Was a bit of a bust because of our location not having a higher percentage, but it did get so cool as the sun got more and more covered, and was like evening time shortly before darkness sets in. 

Heard more crickets, and was hoping to see the bats come out or the raccoons, but it didn't really get dark enough for long enough for that to happen.

Did have fun watching Al Roker on the ship in South Carolina. They really got a show there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Northern Virginia here.  We experienced 81% but I refused to look directly at the spectacle.

Five of those eclipse-viewing boxes made by me and two neighbors showed nothing more than a pin-****** of light.  

Someone put together two goggles, which I donned, and I glanced at the sun but chickened out at the last moment.  Although I called the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum last week and they were out of the glasses used to view the eclipse, I insanely, at 1:15 p.m. this afternoon, jumped into my car to drive over there.  There were miles of vehicles lined up to get into the center.  I got into another lane and took the next exit (McLearen Rd.) and stopped off for a burger at Burger King to assuage my disappointment.  Udvar-Hazy was to hand out some glasses at the last minute.

Yes, I bought the glasses twice from Amazon in the last several weeks, but then I dropped the orders after reading about the harmful effects of the sun's rays, even with the glasses worn.  Have been checking the county libraries, home improvement stores, etc., ever since things became desperate on the eclipse glassess front.  Little did I know that Walmart was selling them, along with other regular retailers.

Honored Contributor

95% here and it got kinda twilightish and then it was done.

Only saw good stuff on T.V.!

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Only 70% here, so dim but not dark.  I'm watching the reports/pictures coming in from the "total" path -  amazing.  No wonder before our modern media an eclipse fostered all sorts of myths.  I'm a little envious of those who got to see even more.

@millieshops - at 94% I was disappointed a bit, especially after seeing the total darkness online.  That would have been amazing! 

Respected Contributor

I'm in central Maryland. There's no difference to me. It just looks like a partly sunny day. It's been cloudy most of the day with breaks of the sun and the sky isn't getting darker. My office is right by a big window and if there was a big change I would have noticed it.

Esteemed Contributor

North of Chicago.  Clouds played peek a boo, but it was exciting to see when they cleared.  We had the official glasses, but our best shot was through the clouds.

IMG_4635.PNG

Esteemed Contributor

Even at totality, it was never going to get pitch  black dark, like it is at midnight.

Darker, yes, but not 100% totally, and completely pitch black midnight dark.