Contributor

I hope someone can provide some direction in this situation.

I ordered an apple peeler from a seller on Ebay.  It was "like new, never used, and in original box".  And the price was not bad.

It arrived today and the handle is in 2 pieces (as in broken)!.  So there's no way to get the handle attached to the rod that directs the apple to the cutting end where it gets peeled, cored and sliced.  My husband says the piece that is broken is cast aluminum and cannot be welded.

I have contacted the seller saying I wished to get a refund, and I provided photos showing the piece that is broken.  He says the item was fine when it was mailed and wants me to file a claim with USPS as the package was insured for $50.  

This seems like extra effort on my part because I made the purchase in good faith.  So now I have to file a claim with USPS and still don't have the apple peeler I wanted.  

I just wanted a refund.  So how can I get it?  Thanks for any help.

Honored Contributor

Seems like he should file the claim since he has the insurance information and any claim will be paid to him.  He should immediately refund your money.  I'd open a case with eBay.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would  return the item by using the 'Return this item' button shown on your order. Follow the steps, add any comments and photos then hit Confirm Return button. The seller has three days I believe to respond to that formal request to return. If an agreement cannot be made then you can have it escalate to the attention of ebay who should help you in their Resolution Center. Usually ebay will refund you the money.  Ebay has a money back guarantee:

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Esteemed Contributor

Call Ebay or contact them right away online @jrcnc.

I have had two issues with them in the last 8 months and 

they took care of them immediately. Both in my favor.

Respected Contributor

No need to call ebay. Just do as @SilleeMee says; make sure after selecting return this item to then select the item is damaged or broked. Make sure to return the item during the time specified; also make sure to have ebay step in as necessary during the return process. 

Almost 99.9% of problems with ebay do NOT require you to call. And calling them can be a hassle.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had help from Ebay with a similar issue.  I did call Ebay. I did use the return options as well. All advice is correct.  You are not the one to tangle with USPS.  They are.  And I had good luck with Ebay.  They will support you. 

And I have had problems with packages arriving in the first place and Ebay has taken care of it.  You need to reach out to them. Calling them will not hurt and make you feel better as you use the return option as well.  

Honored Contributor

go to ebay and find out how to open a case

your product is defective , Item not as described, broken etc

seller is being lazy 

Trusted Contributor

@jrcnc   If you used Paypal to pay for your item, you can contact them and they will contact the seller.  I've had this happen and thanks to Paypal I did get refunded.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't just return it.

Open a case with eBay or Paypal if you paid that way.  No need to call - go to Resolution Center or whatever it's called.

Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.  I will proceed with doing the return as suggested.