Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

easy pay is a scam. People who use it just buy more.  I stopped the easy pay train a few years ago and just pay in full... and when I get the credit card statement pay that in full. I never owe month to month. 

It's not a scam.  QVC isn't misrepresenting anything.  It's not fraudulent or dishonest.  It's just a sales technique. And it works.

I don't like EZ Pay.  I've never used it and never would. But QVC isn't scamming customers, and they're not doing anything wrong by offering it.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for having many easy pays.  It is no different than being in debt for payments.  If you have many, you could owe hundreds of dollars, with a chunk of payments spread out forever!  So what if they don't charge you interest, i

you still owe the money.Omg, years ago, I called QVC questioning payment on my q card.  I had bought a pair of pants for about 26 bux spread over 5 pmts!!!!  It took so long I couldn't remember what it was I bought.  Lol

i can see having a couple items on an easy pay of  2/3 payments.  I know many people who use QVC to buy electronics or expensive items that are way overpriced, or older models because they can use easy pay as they they don't want to charge it.  They feel that they don't owe money, because their is no interest.  each their own,  i am no saint with money.  But when I buy electronics it has to be the latest model, without a ton of "free" gifts or attachments i wont use.  And, I want to know I am not paying 100-300 more for the item.

Trusted Contributor

I admit, I'm chuckling a little bit, here.

How many times, have I seen threads, complaining, endlessly, about QVC's stinginess with ez pay offers, how much more generous, the other shopping channels were, with their  variations on ez pay?

Now the complaint is, they're too generous? Trying to encourage their customers to go into debt!

News flash, they're a retailer. Like every other retailer, on the planet, they want us to spend money,  It's how they stay in business! Can you imagine the impact a giant retailer, like QVC, going under has? 

It's our responsibility, to be smart, informed shoppers. No retailer is going to assume that for us.  

What do you suppose the retailer, who offers free shipping is doing? Maybe trying to entice you to buy more, or buy something you otherwise wouldnt have and don't really need?

What's the point of that big sale? Maybe to convince you this is a good time to buy that pricey purse, the one you want badly, but actually need, like you need the flu?

Whatever the enticement, it's all selling.  It's up to us to realize that, know our budgets, when buying is smart and when it's not, no matter the lure,  

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

easy pay is a scam. People who use it just buy more.  I stopped the easy pay train a few years ago and just pay in full... and when I get the credit card statement pay that in full. I never owe month to month. 

It's not a scam.  QVC isn't misrepresenting anything.  It's not fraudulent or dishonest.  It's just a sales technique. And it works.

I don't like EZ Pay.  I've never used it and never would. But QVC isn't scamming customers, and they're not doing anything wrong by offering it.

It might not be a scam in the strictest sense of the word, but it is a poor substitute for good values and free shipping.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

My sister loves easy pay.  She has always said she can afford a payment.  She is on Medicare and SSI now.  It will be interesting.  

Honored Contributor

@Patsy06

I look at the total cost of an item. Dividing up the cost of an overpriced item does not con me into making a purchase. 

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I would rather have free shipping.

Me too!!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Patsy06 wrote:

Keep noticing items going on (6) Easy Pays a lot now instead of even the newer norm of (5) Easy Pays.  Pricing on items is still not being reduced (or not substantially) but just going on Easy Pay.

Does Easy Pays entice you to buy the item?  NOPE not for me.  It isn't about making it easier to "afford" an item since that is not really the issue for me.  It's about being stupid (talking about me now) not to buy an item that is overpriced and then adding shipping & handling on top of that whereas other retailers are VERY competitive on-line & at concrete stores (with no S&H).

@Patsy06  If anything 6 easy pays causes me to sit up and take notice. Did the price go up? Shipping too high? Cost  for item out of line? I get suspicious why the need to break it down to pay it over 6 months.

Honored Contributor

@Patsy06 wrote:

Keep noticing items going on (6) Easy Pays a lot now instead of even the newer norm of (5) Easy Pays.  Pricing on items is still not being reduced (or not substantially) but just going on Easy Pay.

Does Easy Pays entice you to buy the item?  NOPE not for me.  It isn't about making it easier to "afford" an item since that is not really the issue for me.  It's about being stupid (talking about me now) not to buy an item that is overpriced and then adding shipping & handling on top of that whereas other retailers are VERY competitive on-line & at concrete stores (with no S&H).

@Patsy06 wrote:

Q is late to the party on easy pay.  Other channels do easy pay all the time.  Easy pay is like lay a way back in the day.  Only you get the item before you have paid for it.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  What ever is easier for each person.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Easy Pay Enticement?

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It might not be a scam in the strictest sense of the word, but it is a poor substitute for good values and free shipping.

I agree that EZ Pay is not a substitute for good values and free shipping.

But that doesn't make it a scam - in the strictest sense of the word or otherwise.  The word "scam" shouldn't be thrown around like that.  Offering EZ Pay is not a scam, and that's not anyone's opinion.  It's a fact.