Respected Contributor

It does not entice me, but it must entice others.  Q must see an uptick of orders when EP is offered.  If they didn't, they wouldn't do it so often.  It must be successful for them, they certainly aren't doing it for giggles.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I try to remember that whatever enticement any retailer uses works best FOR THE RETAILER offering it. 

I use EZPay when it's offered, but unlike my buying behavior years ago when I was buying out of control everywhere, I can't think of a single item I ordered on EZP in 2018 that I wouldn't have ordered anyway - but I just don't spend retail the way I used to.   I actually bought very little from QVC last year, but I bought nothing at all from the likes of Macys, Nordstrom, Amazon, etc.  I might even have helped send Sears and JCP and Barnes and Noble closer to bankruptcy although they all offered lots of incentives.

I'm still appalled how much I don't need to spend new money on if I just shop my own closets and cabinets first

Esteemed Contributor

@Patsy06 wrote:

Keep noticing items going on (6) Easy Pays a lot now instead of even the newer norm of (5) Easy Pays.  Pricing on items is still not being reduced (or not substantially) but just going on Easy Pay.

Does Easy Pays entice you to buy the item?  NOPE not for me.  It isn't about making it easier to "afford" an item since that is not really the issue for me.  It's about being stupid (talking about me now) not to buy an item that is overpriced and then adding shipping & handling on top of that whereas other retailers are VERY competitive on-line & at concrete stores (with no S&H).

@Patsy06     EZ-Pay is definitely not an enticement for me.  

Honored Contributor

No, it's just their way of getting the customer to buy more.  Unless it is an expensive item, I see no point to it.  6 easy pays for something that costs $30 or less???  I don't think so.

Contributor

@millieshops  Love the comment re shopping our own closets & cabinets first.  I have found that to be very true much to my dismay.  I do love my Amazon though ... just say'in.  Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I find it dangerous - you don't realize how much you have spent - $6 here $5 here adds up.

Respected Contributor

Not for me.  I am lucky to be in a place now where I don't need to use Easy Pay.  Of course, now retired, I don't have a need or want for many things as in previous years.  But believe me in the past, Easy Pay allowed me to create problems for myself.

What I don't care for is during check out their system automatically defaults to Easy Pay, even with PayPal.  I feel it should be reversed.  If customer wants to use Easy Pay they should have to select it.

Honored Contributor

Even though I can pay the whole thing up front, I always do easy pay and that way if I need to return I don’t have to wait to get the entire sum back. No need to tie up my money until I’m satisfied.

The key is not to get in the trap of buying more than you regularly would which is not a temptation since I don’t shop here often. 

Honored Contributor

easy pay is a scam. People who use it just buy more.  I stopped the easy pay train a few years ago and just pay in full... and when I get the credit card statement pay that in full. I never owe month to month. 

Respected Contributor

The deep discounts at other retailers this time of year highlight the marginal savings Q calls clearance. I shopped at Macy’s on Tuesday. With the extra 25% off the sale price, I purchased 6 clothing items for a few $ more than the full price of just one of the items. I realize their markup is substantial, but it is at the Q too. Easy pay is no substitute for lower prices.

I do use it so I can get a item home and check fit and/or quality without having the full price applied to my credit card. I also like that one can pay the easy pay balance in full at any time.