Honored Contributor

Earthquakes/Eruption of Kilauea

Prayers for our forum posters who may be affected! Stay safe!

"The strongest earthquake in 43 years struck Hawaii's Big Island near the volcanic eruption at Kilauea which has forced residents to flee their homes. 

The earthquake hit about 12.33pm Friday and was centered near the south flank of Kilauea volcano. It is the strongest earthquake to hit Hawaii since 1975 when a magnitude 7.1 struck in the same area, according to US Geological Survey records.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says the quake wasn't strong enough to cause a tsunami but several reports do state that there were small tsunami waves around the Big Island. No tsunami threat or advisory has been put in place.

The state transportation department said on Twitter that no damage has been reported to roads but there has been more than 14,000 utility customers without power.

'It's kind of like being on some kind of carnival ride if you will. We are being shaken all the time,' said Rhea Lee-Moku, a spokeswoman for Hawaii Electric Light.

She added that half the customers have had their power restored. 

Another 5.7 magnitude tremor was said to have hit the island earlier on Friday. US Geological Survey seismologist Jana Pursley told CNN there had been 119 earthquakes on the Big Island since Thursday afternoon.

Before the quake, Hawaii County Civil Defense said a new vent opened near an intersection. There has been no activity at a geothermal power plant, which had been taken offline".

A man watches as lava is seen coming from a fissure in Leilani Estates subdivision on Hawaii's Big Island on Friday

More fact & videos here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5690403/Hawaii-volcano-forces-1-500-homes-lava-bubbles-up.ht...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Earthquakes/Eruption of Kilauea

In our thoughts and,

http://libertypraisechapel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Prayer.gif

Honored Contributor

I hope @SurferWife and all our friends in HI are safe.  HeartHeartHeart

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I heard there were several earthquakes over night last night and now additional cracks are pouring out lava. 

I can't imagine losing everything like this. I wonder how much time they have to gather their belongings and get out of the way of the lava flow.

I also wonder if you live on a live volcano do you have insurance against something like this?

Honored Contributor

@151949   You would think that home insurers wouldn't cover homes near an active, live volcano.  It's hard to understand why people buy houses and live in such a risky place.  Maybe it's much cheaper than other, safer housing?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

As far as been reported, no one was hurt. The fissure that is in the original post has already stopped. It may start again, it may not. Other fissures have opened up. 

SurferWife lives on, I believe, Oahu which is a few islands away from the active volcano.  She is very safe. We did feel the earthquake on Friday, but it was slight on Oahu. 

The area that has lava activity has homes and that are fairly far apart; but a few homes were destroyed. Everyone was evacuated, there was ample time as usually the lava moves really slowly. Where it came up was not too close to any homes. It was across a paved street and lots of forested land. 

The biggest danger now is the poisonous sulphur dioxide clouds that can go wherever the winds blow. 

The land sold here is much cheaper than on other areas of Hawaii island, or on the other neighbor islands. Everyone knows that there is an active volcano beneath them. The land is vast. Since people have lived on this island, there has been eruptions on & off for over 1500 years. 

A state of emergency has been declared so residents should be taken care of and much is being done to keep everyone safe. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I toured the active volcanic area seven years ago the locals took it in stride and just rebuilt on top of the cooler lava.  I'm sure there isn't insurance and that the land is cheaper than most in Hawaii.  I couldn't live like that.

Honored Contributor

when we took the cruise in 2007 we cruised by the volcano at night and could see the lava flowing into the ocean. Also one of our excursions on the big island was a helicopter tour over the 🌋 volcano in the daytime. 

Honored Contributor

We’re fine @Drythe! We live on O’ahu. Kilauea is on the Big Island (Hawai’i Island). I’m not sure what Island our other HI WEN girls live on, though. @AlohaSun...are you okay?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

We’re fine @Drythe! We live on O’ahu. Kilauea is on the Big Island (Hawai’i Island). I’m not sure what Island our other HI WEN girls live on, though. @AlohaSun...are you okay?

Oh good @SurferWife I was thinking of you also. Hope @AlohaSun is safe also.

It sounds very scary for everyone...