Honored Contributor

Re: Earthquake in West Virginia

@Witchy Woman-

Oh wow-

I didn't know of the dammage to the monument and the cathedral!

It was so unbelievable wasn't it?

Thinking, wait-we don't get earthquakes!

And then looking up everything we could about earthquakes and getting earthquake insuranceWoman Surprised

I do remember reading that small shifts in the earth are good or tremors, because the earth needs to move and that is less likely for a bigger one if there is some movement (or something strange like that!)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Southern WVa is very near to me about a half hour away.  I'm in Maryland.  Thank goodness we didn't feel it here. 

Honored Contributor

I live with San Andreas fault on one side, the Loma Prieta the other and  another fault runs right through us.   3.5 quake barely moves to me.  In California we stand there and rate them as they pass.  Is it roller, or a jolter or a short rattler.  A long rattler.  Even worse when it is a long, unbroken rattler.?  However, as many as I have been through it never gets easy.  Every tremor, your heart bumps a little and you mentalty go on alert waiting......

after the big one in 1989, which they say now was about an 8, scared me for life! .  Everytime a jet goes over, the garage door slams, you jump a little. Especially when the grand kids slam front door and the windows rattle.    Its the after shocks of a big quake that really get to you.  We had after shocks for weeks.  Some coming minutes a part.  We could lay in bed and hear it coming, and we'd go....here it comes...hang on.