Honored Contributor

Re: Earthquake in Philadelphia area?

@Sooner  It was definatley a shaker, I am on the second floor and could feel the couch shake and my plants were shaking. I am in Westchester County NY

@Sooner wrote:

I am thankful nobody was hurt badly.  Was it a roller or a shaker?  We had a roller go on for more than half a minute a few years ago in Oklahoma near where I live.

It was like being in a boat--after about 20 seconds we got dizzy and everyone just ran out into the yard.  It was  5.6 I think.  But it seemed to go on forever and it started with that plane crash roar too!

Earthquake waves are like sound waver, so you can hear them like that sometimes.  I'm told! 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

In Jersey, my whole house shook and it was moving the chair I was sitting on!

@meallen616 Be safe and take care, hope you had no damage to your home!

Super Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I'm in the "felt nothing" part of NJ (Salem County) and felt nothing. Which is nice. We have a fault nearby (Mannington Meadows) that tends to give the "bang" earthquakes where everyone thinks something exploded. The only "shaking" earthquake I've felt here was the big one that affected the Washington, DC region a few years back. 

Gardenman,  I remember well when that happened.  I was at my desk and it litterally shook me up In Cumberland County!!

I will tune in to 6abc at noon for the followup.  I just all who experienced it this morning are ok.

Honored Contributor

@Estellee,

Thank you so much for thinking of me. I checked most of the house and I am okay, just shook up a little when the house and floors were like moving!

Respected Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

@Estellee,

Thank you so much for thinking of me. I checked most of the house and I am okay, just shook up a little when the house and floors were like moving!

@meallen616 Thankfully you are ok, must have been terrifying.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here in Central, NJ. Parkway exit 102, 4.8 magnitude. Jiggled the house a bit. 🏠 😅

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

I'm surprised that those affected are in some cases being so dramatic. I grew up in MD and didn't feel my first quake until I was in my late 20s in a high rise in Taipei, Taiwan ( the bdlg swayed; as expected and my friends and I were literally shaken but that was it) and my second was in a high rise in Mainz Germany. Then I lived in CA for 25 years in" the earthquake capitol of CA"; Ridgecrest. There were a few that made us head for the doorways or outside ( learned about anchoring cabinets and also Quake Wax but never any damage).  Ten years after I moved to AZ Ridgecrest had 2 back to back quakes over 4 th of July weekend :6.9/7.1 which caused billions of structural damage and thousands of aftershocks, some bigger than N.J. quake! Even in those quakes nobody died or was hurt. Except for the 7 point plus ones I'd rather an earthquake than a forest fire, hurricane or tornado.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We're in northeast NJ, close to NYC, and we felt the whole house shake as if it was going to fall down - 

At first we thought it was a big truck driving past, but the shaking got worse and then finally stopped.

And this is a solid stone house, which really frightened me, but thank goodness it passed!

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Yes I felt it!  The bedroom was shaking along with the windows & mirror....what was that?  I realized it was an earthquake.  DH came running upstairs asking me what that was.

DS who is in Princeton felt it too.  My next door neighbor was on the phone with someone in Abington, PA and they felt it.

It was a 4.8 earthquake near Lebanon/Tweksbury, NJ.  My brother & sister in law live there but I have not heard from them after texting with her.

ETA: I am concerned because it is a small town area and that is literally their mailing address!

ETA:  I just heard from my sister in aw and they are all okay...I was worried since they are right near the epicenter of it.

Being close to NYC, we are close also, and I was a little concerned because our lamps were swaying and rattling, everything in the kitchen cupboards was banging, this one was quite disturbing.

No aftershocks though.

Respected Contributor

Central, coasal NJ (Middlsex County) and the kitchen cabinet doors were shaking, a few things in my pantry fell off the shelves and my 2 cats ran in the house as the floor was shaking.  We are on a natuarl earthquake fault line as  "Cheesequake" State Park is located only a stone's throw from our area.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!