Honored Contributor

Re: Earthquake in California

[ Edited ]

@GSPgirl wrote:

@patbz wrote:

I'm sorry but in most places a 5 something quake isn't a big deal (I  understand on East Coast, where they don't build for any quakes it can cause a lot of damage).  From 6 on up quakes are frequently deadly.  I lived in Ridgecrest .CA for 25 years (otherwise known as "earthquake capitol").  Any tremor can be scary, I get it.

Exactly.  In San Diego in the 80’s we had a cluster of tremors or small earthquakes.  We were so used to them that we stopped getting underneath door jams. It’s a part of being a Californian.  Those whio have never lived there don’t understand.  

A five is considered worthy of attention.  To blow it off as nothing is silly.  Do you realize quakes increase in magnitude geometrically, not arithmetically?

Yes, a six is much more dangerous, but fives are not dismissed as nothing worth noticing.

Respected Contributor

We are in Santa Barbara.

Mr henny was coming in the kitchen door from getting mail and I was at kitchen sink fixing lunch. Neither of us felt a thing.

Part of our house is on granite and part on shale. Guess we were on the granite part. If we had been in the den or living room we would have felt it.

Our son who lives downtown said his apartment shook and the walls felt "wobbley".  he couldn't believe we didnt feel anything.

Our cats didn't alert us either. They are more interested in the mouse or rat that has died somewhere in our basement and can be smelled in the house----grrrrr

Honored Contributor

s/o said that he did not feel a thing in the northern SD county area.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I do NOT miss living in San Francisco.  Earthquakes come on a pretty regular basis from 3.0 to 5.5 when lived there.  No, thanks.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have only ever felt a slight shaking here in Indiana.  It didn't last long.  I can see why it would be scary.

Hope everyone gets to feeling better.  I can relate. I really do feel for you.  It's not easy.  We are stonger than we think.

Honored Contributor

The quakes that happen often around the Bay Area are usually too small to feel (under a 3) and they are usually a good thing because they release the stress underground.

The ones we do feel aren't happening all the time.  I've never been afraid of quakes, no one in my family has been afraid, even during the big one in 1989.

Honored Contributor

I'll say it again....I LOVE where I live. I prefer snowstorms rather than having the earth move under me. Yikes. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Thank you, @Noel7, but what about you? How are you doing healthwise?

@suzyQ3

I have been better 🙂. It’s been really tough lately.

I had a feeling that that was the case, @Noel7. I'm sorry that you've not been in the best of health. I certainly hope that changes. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I'll say it again....I LOVE where I live. I prefer snowstorms rather than having the earth move under me. Yikes. 

I've lived in SoCal all my life and have encountered two major earthquakes. I'll take my chances and continure to live in an area that I love for its attributes, among which are its beauty and year-round temperate weather.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I've lived in SoCal all my life and have encountered two major earthquakes. I'll take my chances and continure to live in an area that I love for its attributes, among which are its beauty and year-round temperate weather.

@suzyQ3

Absolutely.  We have such an incredible state: forests, lakes, mountains, the desert beauty, world famous cities with incredible food, diversity to enjoy, and the magnificent Pacific ocean with its beautiful beaches.

Not to mention several of the best hospitals and research centers in America and leading universities.