Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I felt a couple small jolts about 20 minutes ago. I figured it was either an earthquake or my being sick. :-) But then nextdoor.com went crazy. I don't know how widespread it was, but twitter is coming in from all over the place. Not verified: it was in the ocean near the Channel Islands and was a 5.0

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Earthquake in California

@suzyQ3 I just read about that earthquake on Twitter.  I read it was a 5.3.  Scary.

Hope you feel better very soon @suzyQ3 Heart

Honored Contributor

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci37908735#executive

M 5.3 - 57km SW of Channel Islands Beach, California

2018-04-05 19:29:16 UTC 33.844°N   119.716°W 16.8 km depth

hope everyone is okay!
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Oh wow!! Hope everyone is ok!! I know how scary that can be!! About 7 tears ago we had one where I live,east of NYC.I was home alone & suddenly I heard rumbling & everything started to move!! I heard shifting in the attic etc.

I wasn’t sure what was happening.First I thought someone was breaking in through the roof.Then I thought a bomb was about to go off.I grabbed my phone & my keys & ran to my car!!

My son called as soon as I got to my car.He asked if I was ok.He was at work & his building was evacuated.He was told it was an earthquake.Scared the heck out of me.I sat in my car until my son & DH came home.The whole thing lasted about 10 long minutes!!

Stay safe!!

Honored Contributor

Somebody better tell @Noel7, she'll want to give her input. She knows alot about California and earthquakes.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry but in most places a 5 something quake isn't a big deal (I  understand on East Coast, where they don't build for any quakes it can cause a lot of damage).  From 6 on up quakes are frequently deadly.  I lived in Ridgecrest .CA for 25 years (otherwise known as "earthquake capitol").  Any tremor can be scary, I get it.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I'm sorry but in most places a 5 something quake isn't a big deal (I  understand on East Coast, where they don't build for any quakes it can cause a lot of damage).  From 6 on up quakes are frequently deadly.  I lived in Ridgecrest .CA for 25 years (otherwise known as "earthquake capitol").  Any tremor can be scary, I get it.

my s/o always says that also......but for me, i can usually even feel a 3.0 when i am there. just texted my s/o to see if he felt it in san diego county area.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Living in Seattle area I know all about Earth Quakes and how frightening they are....small or otherwise.  The last big one here about 20 years ago...I was at work....everything in the store  was on the floor.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How much a quake is felt depends on many different factors.  

Feel better soon, @suzyQ3.