Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have been through the Northridge quake and the San Fernando in 1971. 

For the Whittier Narrows quake in 1987 I was driving to work at 60 mph on the freeway and people at work were freaking out and I'm like 'what earthquake?'

That was DH, too!  It was the World Series game, I was already watching the start, DH was on his way home and planned to stop to pick up a pizza.  He had no idea there had been a quake,

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

A few years ago we had one here in PA..actually I think the epicenter was near Washington/VA.  I ran out into the hall and thought I'd imagined it until everyone else came out of their rooms and looked confused, just like me!

NoelSeven, glad you're ok.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you, kalli Smiley Happy

Once I got up, ran to the window to see if a car had hit us and there was nothing there, I was OK.

Respected Contributor

I totally agree with you  NoelSeven I would rather handle earthquakes than floods, tornadoes, etc.  people here always comment when we say we are moving back to Northern Cal. - what about the earthquakes - but somehow having lived there for 20 years -then moved - we do not even think about it too much.  As you say we get on and make it better.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

I totally agree with you  NoelSeven I would rather handle earthquakes than floods, tornadoes, etc.  people here always comment when we say we are moving back to Northern Cal. - what about the earthquakes - but somehow having lived there for 20 years -then moved - we do not even think about it too much.  As you say we get on and make it better.

There's just so much that's worthwhile here, also Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Jeepers!  I'm glad that you are okay.

___

Me too. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

Born and raised in SF And living in NO. CA. have lived through many earthquakes.  Had one in SF working in the Chronicle bldg. In late 50,s, then the Loma P.    My neighbor had just crossed the bridge from OAKLAND on way home from work.  I was working in MAR I N.  The Napa one last year.  I have my supplies ready, but My main concern is my dog and cat to save.  Leash and crate ready.

Didn,t feel yesterdays.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Born and raised in SF And living in NO. CA. have lived through many earthquakes.  Had one in SF working in the Chronicle bldg. In late 50,s, then the Loma P.    My neighbor had just crossed the bridge from OAKLAND on way home from work.  I was working in MAR I N.  The Napa one last year.  I have my supplies ready, but My main concern is my dog and cat to save.  Leash and crate ready.

Didn,t feel yesterdays.

I was surprised last night that the local news said it was felt in other areas as far away as San Jose, Marin, and Oakland.  Of course, most aren't felt by everyone.  I still haven't heard the name of the particular fault involved.

Respected Contributor

Re: Earthquake: Northern CA

[ Edited ]

I don't know if any of you have read this, but it's a bit sobering (to say the least) for those of us in the PNW:

"Most people in the United States know just one fault line by name: the San Andreas, which runs nearly the length of California and is perpetually rumored to be on the verge of unleashing “the big one.” That rumor is misleading, no matter what the San Andreas ever does. Every fault line has an upper limit to its potency, determined by its length and width, and by how far it can slip. For the San Andreas, one of the most extensively studied and best understood fault lines in the world, that upper limit is roughly an 8.2—a powerful earthquake, but, because the Richter scale is logarithmic, only six per cent as strong as the 2011 event in Japan.

Just north of the San Andreas, however, lies another fault line. Known as the Cascadia subduction zone, it runs for seven hundred miles off the coast of the Pacific Northwest, beginning near Cape Mendocino, California, continuing along Oregon and Washington, and terminating around Vancouver Island, Canada. The “Cascadia” part of its name comes from the Cascade Range, a chain of volcanic mountains that follow the same course a hundred or so miles inland. The “subduction zone” part refers to a region of the planet where one tectonic plate is sliding underneath (subducting) another. Tectonic plates are those slabs of mantle and crust that, in their epochs-long drift, rearrange the earth’s continents and oceans. Most of the time, their movement is slow, harmless, and all but undetectable. Occasionally, at the borders where they meet, it is not.

"....If, on that occasion, only the southern part of the Cascadia subduction zone gives way—your first two fingers, say—the magnitude of the resulting quake will be somewhere between 8.0 and 8.6. Thats the big one. If the entire zone gives way at once, an event that seismologists call a full-margin rupture, the magnitude will be somewhere between 8.7 and 9.2. That’s the very big one."

"In the Pacific Northwest, the area of impact will cover* some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America. Roughly three thousand people died in San Francisco’s 1906 earthquake. Almost two thousand died in Hurricane Katrina. Almost three hundred died in Hurricane Sandy. FEMA projects that nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Another twenty-seven thousand will be injured, and the agency expects that it will need to provide shelter for a million displaced people, and food and water for another two and a half million. “This is one time that I’m hoping all the science is wrong, and it won’t happen for another thousand years,” Murphy says.

Entire article here:  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

We just try to stay prepared as possible, always.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero