Honored Contributor

The closer you are to the epicenter, the more intense.  I lived through the 7.1 in SF and it's very scary.  There are earthquakes out in Ca quite a few times a year. I am happily back in the midwest on solid ground.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Did anyone else feel that?  Wow, only a 3.3, but it felt like it was right under my computer chair Smiley Surprised

We pinpointed where it was and the fault, and it's just a couple of miles away.  It was so sharp, I thought someone had hit the house.  No roll, no preview, just a big jolt.

Not me.  If it's the one from about 15 minutes ago, I'm in a county on the other side of the Bay.  Glad for all our sakes that it was minor.

That must have been it, but I didn't see it reported, I looked online.  It was probably too far away from you, that's good.  I'll be interested to see the name of this fault.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

The closer you are to the epicenter, the more intense.  I lived through the 7.1 in SF and it's very scary.  There are earthquakes out in Ca quite a few times a year. I am happily back in the midwest on solid ground.

Right!  We were in the city for the Loma Prieta 7.1, too.  That one was really something. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've learned that sometimes the little ones can feel harsher than you'd expect.

When we were going through that phase, a few years ago, having hundreds of earthquakes a day for months, I was really shaken after a while and there wasn't anything larger than a 5.8 here.   Most of them were in the 1 to 3 range but you could feel the rumbling constantly and it became nerve-wracking after a while.

There were only a few in the 4s and 5s but I was really glad when that stopped.  It was centered pretty close to where I live, though.

Glad all is ok and hope it's not a precursor.  

Hi CB, you're right, those aftershocks really get to you!  I hope it's not a precursor, too.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

I really hate the jolting earthquakes and the ones that make loud noises, like the one in the late 50s.  That one sounded like we were being bombed.  Very scary.

Glad it was only a 3.3.

I about jumped out of my chair with this one, LOL.  Honestly, I didn't even think it was a quake, no roll or anything.  A loud bang as it felt like a car hit the house.  Kinda freaky.

Respected Contributor

That's a really minor quake.  I'm surprised anyone is even talking about it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Earthquake: Northern CA

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

Did anyone else feel that?  Wow, only a 3.3, but it felt like it was right under my computer chair Smiley Surprised

We pinpointed where it was and the fault, and it's just a couple of miles away.  It was so sharp, I thought someone had hit the house.  No roll, no preview, just a big jolt.

Not me.  If it's the one from about 15 minutes ago, I'm in a county on the other side of the Bay.  Glad for all our sakes that it was minor.

That must have been it, but I didn't see it reported, I looked online.  It was probably too far away from you, that's good.  I'll be interested to see the name of this fault.

I didn't see or hear it reported either; I looked it up online after I read your post.

You probably know that you can go online to the USGS to report what you felt --

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72503636#impact_tellus

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

image.jpg

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Shawnie!  Smiley Happy

That's just a couple of miles west of us. 

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

That's a really minor quake.  I'm surprised anyone is even talking about it.

I'm not.  People are online talking about it and saying exactly the same things I said, it was a sharp jolt and some also said it felt like a car hit their house, which is exactly what I said.

See the reports here:

http://abc7news.com/news/magnitude-33-earthquake-hits-near-san-francisco/916343/