Respected Contributor

Re: Earthquake: Los Angeles 6.4

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

a lonnnnnnng one here in San Fernando Valley -  no jolt, just a pretty long period of dizzying earth movement.   but for now all is ok.6.4 is pretty big - so i imagine we'll feel more.  it was felt to Las Vegas, up to Fillmore and down in Orange County.  not so much West Side/LA

@ms traditional..I lived in the San Fernando Valley for forty years and experienced quite a few of those shakers.  The last one in 1994 was when I was in Encino and I never want to feel one like that ever again.   Where in the SFV are you?

@Lindsays Grandma   hello.  i'm next door in Tarzana.   yes, the 1994 quake was a tough one to get over.  i slept in a jog suit, shoes by the side of the bed, for about a year after - just in case i needed to make a run for it in the middle of the night.  fortunately yesterday's quake was a good ways away - but it was about as long as the 1994 quake -  20-25 seconds which we know is an eternity when the earth below you is moving!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kdgn wrote:

I had to hang onto the kitchen counter for stability. Yeah, it was a strong one-never felt the before and  after shocks, but the major one? Still feeling a little shaky-

Oh, I'm sorry-it must be scarySmiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Wasn't  on last night to read this thread.

We are in Santa Barbara. We were on our way to an art and craft fair in front of our mission. We live on a windy road and didn't feel a thing. Once there we were on a hilly lawn with lots of people so weren't aware of anything. 

I received a text from a neighbor who said her house shook and then ran into another neighbor who thought she was having a "dizzy spell".

Here on the coast we don't relax until Lucy Jones comes on and soothes our fears. She is a bit like Walter Cronkite. No matter how serious things are when she appears we all come together and breathe. I remember her showing up to the tv studio with a baby on her hip after the San Fernando quake.

We checked the house quickly when we got home and saw no problems. Last night however after bbqing and watching the fireworks from the patio mr henny came outside and said that he had just looked at the grandfather clock in the front hall and it had stopped when the biggest quake hit. By the way our grandfather clock is wired to the wall with screws and wire. I would hate for it to fall.

It is absolutey not a fallacy that animals sense the quake before we do. 

The warning system that they referred to on the news isn't something that would allow for evacuations.

It will give seconds or parts of a minute to protect oneself or get out if possible. It is triggered near the epicenter so the time is miniscule, but if it give you a chance to move from glass or something that would fall it is great.

Love and adore California, so will deal with the quakes.

Hope everyone had a fun forth.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Naturesbeauty :  Every news service is covering earthquake in Ridgecrest.  I'm talking damage at China Lake.  I know that at least two of the on base labs are damaged (I know for sure that many pc's are damaged as well as some structural damage).  The Base is the size of the State of Conneticut.  At least CNN was all over the place about earthquake in Ridgecrest (the film's of damage were for the most part in LA and Bakersfield -- both several hours from RC).

@patbz- This was on the news services re: China Lake

Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake said in a statement late Thursday that no injuries were reported and so far all buildings had been found to be intact but assessments were continuing across its 1,875 square miles (4,856 square kilometers). Its workforce was ordered to not report on Friday.

Esteemed Contributor

I do wish that regarding ALL subjects newsworthy in nature be correct in the title statement.

This was NOT a Los Angeles earthquake.  The title implies the epicenter, which may have scared many who visit these forums and may have friends or family in or very close to Los Angeles.

Whereas, on the contrary, the epicenter was close to the California-Nevada border.

Be accurate in your title statements, please.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ms traditional...We were practically neighbors.  Thank God I had a friend who drove to my house and took me to his house where he lived with his girlfriend and her two children  I lived alone and there was no way I could stay in my place with no electricity.  I left CA in 2005 and as much as I still miss it I don't miss the fear of the big one.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@ms traditional...We were practically neighbors.  Thank God I had a friend who drove to my house and took to me to his house where he lived with his girlfriend and her two children  I lived alone and there was no way I could stay in my place with no electricity.  I left CA in 2005 and as much as I still miss it I don't miss the fear of the big one.  Heart

@Lindsays Grandma    i am glad you weren't here last night -- major, major!  but not as bad here in SFValley as 1994, obviously.   yes, being without electricity for all that time was quite an issue:  i was so glad i had a battery operated television!  i wonder where i put that......hmmm......hope i don't need it again.