Respected Contributor

Re: Earth Hour Tonight for One Hour

@ValuSkr wrote:

Switch off your lights for the hour - purpose is to spread awareness of sustainability and climate change. 

I'm missing something here. How does sitting in a dark house for an hour spread awareness of anything? A dark house is a dark house. I don't need the lights out to know that climate change is here. I just look at how much I've spent on #2 fuel this winter, and that's keeping the house at 56 to 58 degrees. The A/C won't go on this summer--and that's in one room only--until we hit triple digits or have a run in the 90s.

AFAIC, I've seen the light, so I'm keeping mine on. They're CFL or LED, used as needed.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Switch off your lights for the hour - purpose is to spread awareness of sustainability and climate change. 

I'm missing something here. How does sitting in a dark house for an hour spread awareness of anything? A dark house is a dark house. I don't need the lights out to know that climate change is here. I just look at how much I've spent on #2 fuel this winter, and that's keeping the house at 56 to 58 degrees. The A/C won't go on this summer--and that's in one room only--until we hit triple digits or have a run in the 90s.

AFAIC, I've seen the light, so I'm keeping mine on. They're CFL or LED, used as needed.

@noodleann   That's okay, you're excused.  I think the idea is to increase awareness / get people talking about it.  And in that it succeeds.  I'm like you - I don't run the A/C at all in summer and in winter the house temp is never over 60 and rarely over 58.

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs   Thank you for the "heads up" since I didn't see it mentioned on the newcasts this year.  I will be participating.  It's a small thing but the power of one can help to affect the greater good, or so I believe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

How about if all those VIPs who go to climate change conferences stop taking their private jets when they travel?

That's a good idea.  I don't know if it really happens but, if it does, they can telecommute next time.  We appreciate their efforts to address such intractable problems.

Analogy

It’s easier to ask a million people to give $1 than

asking 1 person to give a $1,000,000.

Proves just how much power the ‘little man’ has.

I might be the equivalent of a micro-mini mini on the World Scale 

but my actions still matter.  Cumulative Effects count.

Honored Contributor

I sure hope the lights don't go off on runways!  Although that would certainly help with world overpopulation.   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I'll be at a play tonight.  I can't imagine that they will switch off the lights lol.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DA5C2322-270C-4779-A368-A1C37E06C78F.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Has Earth Day been downsized? 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Has Earth Day been downsized? 

LOL  One would think!  Actually Earth Day is April 22.  I don't know why Earth Hour is another day but that's okay.

Super Contributor

Oh my word, I thought at first you were referring to the Earth brand shoes.  lol