Esteemed Contributor

Since I am older than dirt, I remember days when there was no air conditioning in homes or schools at all.  We survived.  I spent some part of the summers with grandparents in the upper mid-west and she still had to fix a full hot meal every night and that was a little trying since she NEVER removed her stockings and heels.  My mother always kept a cotton handkerchief in a pocket.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

IMO it really does not matter what anyone did not have way back when.  Today haven't we all become accustomed to a/c in everyday life?  I sure have.  I would not be very happy going to work knowing the a/c didn't work.

As I sit here with the A/C out at work.  Just because you may not like it does not mean you do not have to do it,.

No A/C at home either, how uncivilized.

Not uncivilized at all.  I did not say that.  If one is used to it all the time, once you go into a situation where there is no a/c, it's hard.  For me anyway.

In addition to the fact that our children are our future. I also think teachers should have the same air conditioning that most professionals have in the workplace. So many have little respect for our educators and expect them to do their job in sub-standard conditions.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

IMO it really does not matter what anyone did not have way back when.  Today haven't we all become accustomed to a/c in everyday life?  I sure have.  I would not be very happy going to work knowing the a/c didn't work.

As I sit here with the A/C out at work.  Just because you may not like it does not mean you do not have to do it,.

Not uncivilized at all.  I did not say that.  If one is used to it all the time, once you go into a situation where there is no a/c, it's hard.  For me anyway.

In addition to the fact that our children are our future. I also think teachers should have the same air conditioning that most professionals have in the workplace. So many have little respect for our educators and expect them to do their job in sub-standard conditions.

So now no air conditioning is sub-standard conditions.  Think some here need to realize that working or living in a "climate controlled environment" is a luxury for many in this country.  Perhaps your high standard of living is not the norm.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

So now no air conditioning is sub-standard conditions.  Think some here need to realize that working or living in a "climate controlled environment" is a luxury for many in this country.  Perhaps your high standard of living is not the norm.

Your response is proof of the discrepancy of what we value in today's world. We pay sports figures astronomical salaries yet our teachers often make little and are expected to work in sweltering heat.

It is 2018, not 1950. Air conditioning is not considered a luxury. 

Esteemed Contributor

Taught school for over 30 years, never got out of school for heat.   Did however one day get out early because of snow that was to fall. Yep, emptied the school because of the "snow" coming.  Half hour after I got home which was only 8 miles away... flakes.. no snow. I guess better safe than sorry. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

Your response is proof of the discrepancy of what we value in today's world. We pay sports figures astronomical salaries yet our teachers often make little and are expected to work in sweltering heat.

It is 2018, not 1950. Air conditioning is not considered a luxury. 

Then you have a very distorted view of how many live and work in this counrty.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy. I am not talking about how many live and work, I am specifically addressing teachers and their work environment. No need to get personal to address the topic either.