Honored Contributor

Just because the schools close does not mean its too hot in the classrooms.  I have seen times when the electric companies have ask large factories, schools and businesses to voluntarily close because they draw so much electric.  I have also seen it happen in the winter in extreme cold due to the draw and possible overloads on electric power.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: Early School Dismissals

[ Edited ]

Without getting into whether they 'should' or not... schools have always held football practice in the summer and after school once school starts and there have always been heat-related concerns and problems... One would hope coaches and administrators would have the good sense to know when enough is enough and to either cut practices short or cancel them...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I worked at an  urban school system for 41 years.  With the exception of perhaps two or three schools out of many air conditioning didn't exist except in the principal's office.  The hot and humid days were so uncomfortable and difficult for the pupils and staff.  My room didn't even have windows not that it mattered on a hot and humid day.  

I understand why they would close the schools due to excessive heat.  Many pupils had respiratory ailments and they suffered.  It has nothing to do with being wimps or spoiled it has all to do with your health and well being.  

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny......you were lucky.  I grew up going to school down in San Antonio.  Way back in those days there was no a/c in the schools.  Memorial Day.....the real one, May 30.....the day before it was usually the last day of school until the day after Labor Day.  It was hot when we got out for the summer....and most of the time when we went back in in September.  No a/c, but large fans to circulate the hot air....lol  But, we made it through it all.  Even went outside to play during recess.

Respected Contributor

We were talking with my DH's niece who started teaching two years ago.  She was trying to give us a prespective of some issues they are dealing with.  Her school only has a few classrooms with AC.  The school district has to accommodate students whose medical conditions could be jeopardized.

Also listened to a school official who addressed the issue of what is different from today's kids vs those of years ago.  He said (and I am not sure I believe this) there are more kids medically compromised then in years past (ie., asthma).

It may just be my opinion, but I don't necessarily think the kids are being wimpy,  I think it is the parents.

But honestly, as AC has become the norm in our homes, workplaces, cars, shopping centers I am not sure if I were a student or had a child or grandchild I would want them being in a 90 degree classroom for several hours.

Respected Contributor

I started in the Dallas ISD in the 7th grade. We started after Labor Day and it was still HOT.  And no AC and no fans!  That year the PTA fund raisers went towards box fans.  The fans kept me from puking many a day.  We never got out early.  All schools should have AC.  

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Without getting into whether they 'should' or not... schools have always held football practice in the summer and after school once school starts and there have always been heat-related concerns and problems... One would hope coaches and administrators would have the good sense to know when enough is enough and to either cut practices short or cancel them...

Local news this morning showed one school holding practice before school.  Thinking outsdie the box to keep players safe.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Something I have never seen in my area (SW PA).  Early school dismissals due to the heat.

Perhaps because when I was coming up we never started school until after Labor Day.  Usually by then our temps were in the high 70s.  Even if it was much hotter than that well we just suffered thru it.  When I went to grade and middle school, AC wasn't in many homes let alone schools.

I don't disagree regarding the early dismissals.  Can't risk the health of the children.  Am thinking more of our schools districts better start thinking about retrofitting the older buildings with AC.

I live in GA, north of Atlanta.  School started August 6th here and since the beginning of school to today, it's been very hot.  I lived here for 2 years now and they've never had an early dismissal due to heat.  However...believe it or not, we had some snow and ice last winter.  Roads were getting bad, it was past 2 pm and still no early closing notice coming from school.  Until finally 2:30 (they get out at 4).  School was closed for almost a week due to that storm. 

Honored Contributor

IMO it really does not matter what anyone did not have way back when.  Today haven't we all become accustomed to a/c in everyday life?  I sure have.  I would not be very happy going to work knowing the a/c didn't work.

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Fiirst, I think school should begin after Labor Day; definitely, not in August.

That being said, kids are being turned into a bunch of wimps nowadays!  Fans are sufficient to cool the classroom - has worked that way for years.  Children are no longer trained to handle the real work world.  In many jobs there is no air conditioning, yet wrk doesn't get cancelled.

Considering where the US education stands worldwide, I think we should be doing better, i.e., spending should go to enhancing education, not adding a/c to our schools.

I would argue that a/c DOES enhance an education, the same as a full belly. Very hard to learn when you're sweltering or hungry to distraction.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree, @bathina.  Many generations have been capable of learning - and learning quite well - without the benefit of air conditioning.

As far as a "full belly", though OT imho, it's not the general public's responsibility to provide breakfasts and lunches to students.  It is humanity's responsibility to feed all.  Most states (all I would assume) provide food stamps to those in need; food banks abound throughout due to churches, charities, etc.  In fact, there are food drives to benefit families in need throughout the year.  But, again, this is OT.  And, perhaps, we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic also.

As far as enhancing education, imho, it takes dedicated educators, homework and discipline and most importantly, family providing goals and a quest for education.