Honored Contributor

Here in Baltimore County, any schools not with A/C have not opened yet. Other areas of Baltimore with no A/C get out 3 hours early this week.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  What I don't understand is that the schools are closed but yet they are still having football practice in the evening.  It's still horribly hot and humid at 6:00.  In fact Monday, it was more hot and humid at 7:00 p.m. than it was at 2:00 p.m.    

I so agree with you.  Pittsburgh Public Schools are leaving the decision regarding football practice up to the school coaches.  And our temperatures today will be the hottest at 5PM.  Why is football practice so important!! To me that is insane.

Esteemed Contributor

Fiirst, I think school should begin after Labor Day; definitely, not in August.

That being said, kids are being turned into a bunch of wimps nowadays!  Fans are sufficient to cool the classroom - has worked that way for years.  Children are no longer trained to handle the real work world.  In many jobs there is no air conditioning, yet wrk doesn't get cancelled.

Considering where the US education stands worldwide, I think we should be doing better, i.e., spending should go to enhancing education, not adding a/c to our schools.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

This is one of the reasons IMO that only 1% of our youth is fit mentally and physically to serve in the military.We coddle our kids and they are weak, entitled and have no idea how to handle a little discomfort. Our school district just installed air conditioning in the schools 4 years ago, my son went through the system before air and never complained or had any ill effects from a hot classroom.

I'm sure the staff figure into early dismissal as well. Teachers, custodians, cafeteria staff- all have to deal with the excessive heat along with the children. The difference is, children don't have the developed brains that (most) adults have and can't articulate and deal with severe situations the way (most) adults can. I don't believe it's because they are coddled, entitled and weak.

Honored Contributor

I grew up without a/c in schools - just fans and open windows.  Somehow, we survived,as did the teachers.  It's funny how everyone today expects a/c.  Coddled much?  Maybe.  But, to be fair, climate change has made things worse.  Now we have two seasons - winter and summer, with not much in between.  At the very least, schools here in PA shouldn't open before Labor Day.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Fiirst, I think school should begin after Labor Day; definitely, not in August.

That being said, kids are being turned into a bunch of wimps nowadays!  Fans are sufficient to cool the classroom - has worked that way for years.  Children are no longer trained to handle the real work world.  In many jobs there is no air conditioning, yet wrk doesn't get cancelled.

Considering where the US education stands worldwide, I think we should be doing better, i.e., spending should go to enhancing education, not adding a/c to our schools.

I would argue that a/c DOES enhance an education, the same as a full belly. Very hard to learn when you're sweltering or hungry to distraction.

Respected Contributor

@PhilaLady1  I have to agree, but the districts have to start thinking.  I'm not in the Philly area, am on the opposite side of the state.  Many of our "newer" schools are 40+ years old.  Our high schools are huge campus style because of district consolidations which happened starting in the 60s so trying to AC them is going to be a slow process.

I was reading where one of our older high schools has almost finished its HVAC upgrade.  The school was built in the 1930's.  It is multi level instead of campus style which I think benefited when the upgrade was done.

Honored Contributor

I see kids in teens, out running for track.  Usually through the summer, it's very early in the mornings though.  Can't have the kids dropping like flies.

Respected Contributor

Same thing in 2 neighboring counties since some schools say no AC or AC needs repair in certain schools. Several schools closed early yesterday/today, some completely closed yesterday & today. Governor ticked since he provided money for AC/HVAC school repairs and it was never done by some schools!

Honored Contributor

Re: Early School Dismissals

[ Edited ]

With respect to when schools open, I can only say that in my region, there is no magic that happens after Labor Day to ensure cooler temperatures... This trend has become exacerbated as what used to be distinct seasons have become more of a blur... That said, I think we, as a society, have grown very accustomed to air conditioning... I'd suspect that very few of us would choose to cope without it or would be nearly as functional in a steamy, hot environment... That's not to say that many of today's school-aged aren't a bit coddled, though capacity to serve in the military, which isn't exactly a universal goal, wouldn't necessarily be my criteria for making any assessment of their overall mental or physical fitness... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...