Respected Contributor

Something I have never seen in my area (SW PA).  Early school dismissals due to the heat.

Perhaps because when I was coming up we never started school until after Labor Day.  Usually by then our temps were in the high 70s.  Even if it was much hotter than that well we just suffered thru it.  When I went to grade and middle school, AC wasn't in many homes let alone schools.

I don't disagree regarding the early dismissals.  Can't risk the health of the children.  Am thinking more of our schools districts better start thinking about retrofitting the older buildings with AC.

Honored Contributor

Several schools in my area were closed yesterday and today and a couple of days last week, due to heat. 

What I don't understand is that the schools are closed but yet they are still having football practice in the evening.  It's still horribly hot and humid at 6:00.  In fact Monday, it was more hot and humid at 7:00 p.m. than it was at 2:00 p.m.    

Respected Contributor

Re: Early School Dismissals

[ Edited ]

I am in SW PA, too, in Philly.  I am 60 years old, and grew up in this city and attended Philadelphia public schools.  Later, my son did, as well.  I do remember getting out of school early a few times due to the heat.  The average Philly public school is at least 70 years old.  To retrofit would cause millions of dollars.  It's not possible - the school district can barely afford school supplies, salaries, basic things, let alone air conditioning.  Even if they could get the money to put in window air conditioners in each classroom in each school, which would be extremely expensive, the old electric wiring could not handle the load.

Trusted Contributor

I taught in a non-air conditioned school.  The classroom temperature could easily get into the 90s in the early fall and late spring.  It was miserable for everyone, but we never closed early.  I certainly wished that we did on a few of those days.  Impossible to learn in that heat.

Honored Contributor

Re: Early School Dismissals

[ Edited ]

I guess it must be pretty bad out there.  For myself I started 1st grade in 1968 and did not have an air conditioned school until I started my sophomore year in 1977.  Only our two high schools had this luxury for decades.  It was heaven after all those years with just two oscillating fans in every classroom.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny - My children went through this all of the time. If there is ONE school in the district that isn't air conditioned everywhere, the superintendent will call for an early dismissal on days like this. 

My youngest graduated four years ago. I don't pay much attention any longer, but I hope the schools now all have AC. Because of the way our district was divided my children went to the oldest schools - without air conditioning. The elementary school was built in the 50's, the middle school they went to was the old high school from the 40's (it's now being completely renovated), and the high school was built in the 50's also. It was renovated before my youngest got there. The elementary and middle schools did not have air conditioning in all of the classrooms. So there were a lot of early dismissals this time of year, and a few in the spring as well. 

Honored Contributor

I don't recall ever being dismissed early due to weather other than very occasionally for winter weather that arose during the course of the day.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

early school dismissal here in ri....just too darn hot!!

Esteemed Contributor

The record high tempeture for this date was 99 degrees in 1954.  Guess the schools then were having the same discussion about closing schools

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

This is one of the reasons IMO that only 1% of our youth is fit mentally and physically to serve in the military.We coddle our kids and they are weak, entitled and have no idea how to handle a little discomfort. Our school district just installed air conditioning in the schools 4 years ago, my son went through the system before air and never complained or had any ill effects from a hot classroom.