Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Just because the schools close does not mean its too hot in the classrooms.  I have seen times when the electric companies have ask large factories, schools and businesses to voluntarily close because they draw so much electric.  I have also seen it happen in the winter in extreme cold due to the draw and possible overloads on electric power.

That may be but that is not why our schools are closed. They are closed because of excessive heat when there is no a/c.  If the school has a/c, they are in session. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Without getting into whether they 'should' or not... schools have always held football practice in the summer and after school once school starts and there have always been heat-related concerns and problems... One would hope coaches and administrators would have the good sense to know when enough is enough and to either cut practices short or cancel them...

If there is no school because of excessive heat, IMO there should not be practice of any kind.  If they can practice, they can go to school.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

IMO it really does not matter what anyone did not have way back when.  Today haven't we all become accustomed to a/c in everyday life?  I sure have.  I would not be very happy going to work knowing the a/c didn't work.

When I was in grade school we didn't have a/c.  We had windows and box fans in front of them.  But then, our house had no a/c until I was graduated from high school.  I remember lying on the floor of our house or my aunt's house, right up against a fan. 

Now, I go from my a/c house to my a/c car to my a/c office.  I don't know how people do it that work in places that don't have a/c.    

Respected Contributor

I don't remember ever having school cut short by the heat.  Sure it got hot but our schools had huge windows in every classroom that you could Open.  The schools these days are not built the same way.  When they tore down the old brick elementary school It took forever for the wrecking ball to knock down the walls and there was just a relatively small pile of metal to salvage from it.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching that old building thwarting it's demise. 

Respected Contributor

I grew up in the Midwest and attended schools with no A.C. school started in late August.  We went half days for the week before labor day.

I don't ever remember days of 100 degrees or more back then. It was unusual to have high 90s that late in the season.  The climate is changing and we have to get used to making allowances for it.

I don't blame schools for closing when there is high humidity coupled with extreme high temps. No one benefits from these kinds of conditions.

Some of you sound like the old timers who used to tell us as kids that they walked 5 miles to school in a blizzard. One of my aunts tried that with us and her older sister laughed and said that was a completely bogus story. 😊

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

We were talking with my DH's niece who started teaching two years ago.  She was trying to give us a prespective of some issues they are dealing with.  Her school only has a few classrooms with AC.  The school district has to accommodate students whose medical conditions could be jeopardized.

Also listened to a school official who addressed the issue of what is different from today's kids vs those of years ago.  He said (and I am not sure I believe this) there are more kids medically compromised then in years past (ie., asthma).

It may just be my opinion, but I don't necessarily think the kids are being wimpy,  I think it is the parents.

But honestly, as AC has become the norm in our homes, workplaces, cars, shopping centers I am not sure if I were a student or had a child or grandchild I would want them being in a 90 degree classroom for several hours.

I do think there are more medical conditions identified today than there used to be and more precautions taken than there used to be. And yes, I agree, I think vocal parents are a bit part of the reason for school systems being sensitive to temperatures....

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Fiirst, I think school should begin after Labor Day; definitely, not in August.

That being said, kids are being turned into a bunch of wimps nowadays!  Fans are sufficient to cool the classroom - has worked that way for years.  Children are no longer trained to handle the real work world.  In many jobs there is no air conditioning, yet wrk doesn't get cancelled.

Considering where the US education stands worldwide, I think we should be doing better, i.e., spending should go to enhancing education, not adding a/c to our schools.

I would argue that a/c DOES enhance an education, the same as a full belly. Very hard to learn when you're sweltering or hungry to distraction.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree, @bathina.  Many generations have been capable of learning - and learning quite well - without the benefit of air conditioning.

As far as a "full belly", though OT imho, it's not the general public's responsibility to provide breakfasts and lunches to students.  It is humanity's responsibility to feed all.  Most states (all I would assume) provide food stamps to those in need; food banks abound throughout due to churches, charities, etc.  In fact, there are food drives to benefit families in need throughout the year.  But, again, this is OT.  And, perhaps, we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic also.

As far as enhancing education, imho, it takes dedicated educators, homework and discipline and most importantly, family providing goals and a quest for education.

You both make valid points. I will say that as we have all become aclimated to air conditioning, it then becomes more of a challenge for kids or adults to function in a setting without it... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

When I attended school in NYC we went until the last day of June. It got hot!...very hot and we had to stick it out.  When my kids were in school most of the schools in our district in southeastern Pa (Philly suburb) didn't have air conditioning.  They were never dismissed early either. 

There was one hall of classrooms in their old elementary school (until the new was was opened and had air conditioning) that was brutal.  A there were a few who fainted from the heat but still no early dismissal.

I just checked the district website and they are being dismissed early due to the heat and the fact that not all schools in the district are air conditioned.   School started yesterday.

Things have certainly changed but I do feel badly for those stuck in  very unpleasant buildings! 

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I grew up in the Midwest and attended schools with no A.C. school started in late August.  We went half days for the week before labor day.

I don't ever remember days of 100 degrees or more back then. It was unusual to have high 90s that late in the season.  The climate is changing and we have to get used to making allowances for it.

I don't blame schools for closing when there is high humidity coupled with extreme high temps. No one benefits from these kinds of conditions.

Some of you sound like the old timers who used to tell us as kids that they walked 5 miles to school in a blizzard. One of my aunts tried that with us and her older sister laughed and said that was a completely bogus story. 😊

Uphill. Both ways Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

They need to adjust the school year schedule for these changes in the climate. Where I live the high school has AC, one junior high does-and as far as I know that's it. This year they started before Labor Day for the first time I can remember. I don't even know if there were dismissals, I don't have kids so I don't pay attention to that.

I agree with giving up vacation weeks in order to adjust the calendar. Where I live the teacher union is very powerful. They wouldn't even go for that or Saturdays to make up snow days, they would rather go until the end of June. And parents complain too about giving up vacations, if they plan trips around that. I'd say it's better to travel in the summer and have more time with your kids to do that.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"