Respected Contributor

Bless all you southern people.  I don't know how you do it.  Especially with the humidity.  

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Fiirst, I think school should begin after Labor Day; definitely, not in August.

That being said, kids are being turned into a bunch of wimps nowadays!  Fans are sufficient to cool the classroom - has worked that way for years.  Children are no longer trained to handle the real work world.  In many jobs there is no air conditioning, yet wrk doesn't get cancelled.

Considering where the US education stands worldwide, I think we should be doing better, i.e., spending should go to enhancing education, not adding a/c to our schools.

I would argue that a/c DOES enhance an education, the same as a full belly. Very hard to learn when you're sweltering or hungry to distraction.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree, @bathina.  Many generations have been capable of learning - and learning quite well - without the benefit of air conditioning.

As far as a "full belly", though OT imho, it's not the general public's responsibility to provide breakfasts and lunches to students.  It is humanity's responsibility to feed all.  Most states (all I would assume) provide food stamps to those in need; food banks abound throughout due to churches, charities, etc.  In fact, there are food drives to benefit families in need throughout the year.  But, again, this is OT.  And, perhaps, we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic also.

As far as enhancing education, imho, it takes dedicated educators, homework and discipline and most importantly, family providing goals and a quest for education.

Many generations used an out house, and they were fine. So I guess we're spoiled with indoor toilets?

It is not the general public's responsibility to provide breakfast and lunch to students. But it's humanity's responsibility to feed all. Did I read that right?

No need to answer. All rhetorical questions. And yes, we'll agree to disagree.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

IMO it really does not matter what anyone did not have way back when.  Today haven't we all become accustomed to a/c in everyday life?  I sure have.  I would not be very happy going to work knowing the a/c didn't work.

As I sit here with the A/C out at work.  Just because you may not like it does not mean you do not have to do it,.

No A/C at home either, how uncivilized.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

IMO it really does not matter what anyone did not have way back when.  Today haven't we all become accustomed to a/c in everyday life?  I sure have.  I would not be very happy going to work knowing the a/c didn't work.

As I sit here with the A/C out at work.  Just because you may not like it does not mean you do not have to do it,.

No A/C at home either, how uncivilized.

Not uncivilized at all.  I did not say that.  If one is used to it all the time, once you go into a situation where there is no a/c, it's hard.  For me anyway.

Respected Contributor

Maybe it's about protection against parents suing if little Jane or Joe complains of not feeling well because of sitting in a hot classroom.

Trusted Contributor

I understand it in schools which don't have AC, heat stroke is a real possibility.  My district has AC in all but one building (maybe they have it now).  I had kids go through that building and the teachers would give the kids more water breaks, bring in fans, take them to other rooms in the building to continue class.  

There are districts in our area that canceled or released kids early

Honored Contributor

Schools throughout Ohio have been closing or dismissing early and many districts are only taking out those students in buildings without air, keeping in class those that have air conditioning in the buildings.

I don't believe in year round school, and heat is one reason. Air or not, kids want to be out and free during warm long days. 

In Ohio schools are being torn down at a record rate and new buildings with air. many of them complete district campuses vs the local neighborhood schools going up quickly. So I'm guessing in a few years that won't be much of an issue anymore.

I remember going to school when it was hot like this, windows open fans going. Couldn't concentrate, dozing off to sleep, and half the time, couldn't hear over the fans. Waste of everyone's time and effort and not safe when heat index is near and over 100. They had the news in a classroom at 9 am the other day, and the room was already 85 degrees, and the heat hadn't even really begun. Those old brick buildings heat up and don't cool down at night inside. 

It is what it is. They need to do away with spring break being a week or more, delete some of the single holidays like Martin Luther King Day and President's day, curb the in service days, and get the school year in between Labor Day and Memorial Day. Let kids go back to being kids, having summer to play and learn in other ways,or when older work jobs and get ready for adulthood.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Early School Dismissals

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme wrote:

That being said, kids are being turned into a bunch of wimps nowadays!  Fans are sufficient to cool the classroom - has worked that way for years.  Children are no longer trained to handle the real work world.  In many jobs there is no air conditioning, yet wrk doesn't get cancelled.

Considering where the US education stands worldwide, I think we should be doing better, i.e., spending should go to enhancing education, not adding a/c to our schools.

You obviously don’t live in Arizona where school starts in early August when it’s still above 110. Schools have to have a/c. The schools probably wouldn’t have to start in August but the little darlings have so many days off a year they have to. I counted the days off in whatever school district I’m in and they have a minimum of 32 days off per school year. We didn’t get that many days off when I went to school thus we started after Labor Day. And yes it was still hot until Halloween in Arizona but even in the 60’s and 70’s we had a/c in school. I wish Labor Day was the end of summer here. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Early School Dismissals

[ Edited ]

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Maybe it's about protection against parents suing if little Jane or Joe complains of not feeling well because of sitting in a hot classroom.

@PhilaLady1, Bingo! We live in a litigious society.  The threat of lawsuits is always present. It’s the reason for early dismissals due to snow, too. And, no, teachers and staff have nothing to do with these decisions. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

You obviously don’t live in Arizona where school starts in early August when it’s still above 110. Schools have to have a/c. The schools probably wouldn’t have to start in August but the little darlings have so many days off a year they have to. I counted the days off in whatever school district I’m in and they have a minimum of 32 days off per school year. We didn’t get that many days off when I went to school thus we started after Labor Day. And yes it was still hot until Halloween in Arizona but even in the 60’s and 70’s we had a/c in school. I wish Labor Day was the end of summer here. 

You're right, @Meowingkitty, I don'y live in AZ, but heard it's beautiful and hot, very hot!  But th OP ilives in OH - certainly no temperature comparison and can understand the need for a/c in your area.