Super Contributor

Re: Earliest Communication and Technology in Your Lifetime

@tansy wrote:

I have vague memories of drinking milk to commands of green light/red light.  Maybe Sheriff Bill?

@tansy Me too.  That was Engineer Bill.  "On the green light you go, on the red light you stop because no engineer would ever run a red light."

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Trusted Contributor

When I was in grade school my godmother gave me a transistor radio.  It was small...red...and had a black leather case.  I could listen at night to it with an ear plug...I listened to WBZ in Boston.  It had all the groovy tunes..lol..it ran with a 9 volt battery.  I had 5 brothers and they were all jealous...DW

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got my first microwave in the early 70's.  DH was in the electrical industry and got some kind of deal,  but we still paid around $400.00 for this small oven.  That was a pretty hefty sum back then. It had an element on the ceiling that browned the food as it cooked.

That was a really bad idea because food stuck to that element all the time and stunk.  It never occurred to me to have him take the element out, so we ended up junking the oven and getting a simpler one. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My father was an electrical engineer so we usually were first with new technology.  In 1948 we got a 10" Admiral console t.v. (suburban D.C. had three stations and a test pattern when they went off the air).  I remember the first day of Today Show (1952, Dave Garroway).  That little t.v. was still working when my Dad passed in 1999--we sold it for $400!  I remember Howdy Doody , Captain Video, Milton Berle and I Love Lucy.  Around 1952 I visited my Dad at work (Census Bureau) and toured Univac I , the first mainframe computer in entire U.S.Government.  Univac was air cooled and blew my circle skirt in my face.

Honored Contributor

From what I can remember......

Around 10 yrs old, I had a transistor radio.

Pre-early teens my parents got a floor model color tv.  Me being the oldest, I inherited their b/w tv w/rabbit ears.  It was a white RCA tv.

Mid teens, my father purchased this huge microwave oven.  It was so huge, it cooked-microwaveed a 25lb turkey.

Mid teens, my father purchased a VCR.  The tapes were called BetaMax or something similar.

I am in my 71st yr.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@threecees wrote:

I was thrilled when we got our first v.c.r. in the early 80's. I loved

coming home from school and watching my soaps.

I bet you were Bold and Beautiful back then too! 😝 @threecees 

I would think that our home wall phone was my first early communication gadget. It was about 1970. My father thought it would be trouble 😝 He was right! The phone bill was so high my parents bought this lock that attached to the rotary dial. We learned how to remove it and put it back before they got home from work. They gave in after awhile and accepted the high phone bill.  My dad never answered the phone...ever. he would let it ring, and ring and ring. It never bothered him. 😝 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dad sold and repaired radios, tvs and appliances so we had a tv and the first colored tv and microwave.  My dad would bring people wanting a colored tv upstairs to sit in our living room and watch ours.  We had the first transistor radios and were the envy of all our friends.

We also had the first clothes dryer and non wringer washer.

My mother was one of the first telephine operators in her town.

Esteemed Contributor

I was 12 when we moved back to the states and I saw my first tv, phone, and English language radio.

Must say, by then, my sisters and I were great card players.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

We were the first on our block to have a microwave oven...the original Radar Range by Amana. Boy was that ever a learning experience...LOL!!

Yes...we had one, too!   It was considered cutting edge.  

we were also one of the first families in our neighborhood to have a color tv!

Honored Contributor

I do remember watching our black and white tv, though our mother was careful about what we watched.

The biggest thrill though was when my bil gave us his old vcr. And he bought us The Little Mermaid.

My children and I were mesmerized and thought it was the best thing ever! We had never watched a movie on the tv thru this magical contraption!😀

It is still one of our favorite movies

of all!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"