Respected Contributor

Each Day Brings Something New

Yesterday all of the Walmart grocery pickup spots were filled with non-pickup empty cars (rare at my Walmart). So I half-parked in the handicapped area with my flashers on to wait for a spot, ready to move for someone if needed.

Within two minutes an SUV pulled up next to me with the driver signaling wildly. I lowered my window and she SCREAMED at me, "Are you parking in that handicapped spot or not? Where's your placard? Can't you see I have an elderly person with me?" And she points to the 90+ years woman in the passenger seat.

Yes, I could see her. I said no problem, and I pulled out.

The SUV parked, the roughly 40-year-old driver gets out leaving the motor running, leaving the elderly woman in the car, and she walks by herself into the store.

What's wrong with this picture?

Still shaking my head this morning.

Respected Contributor

Re: Each Day Brings Something New

You were both wrong.

Honored Contributor

I agree you were both wrong.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3     Shaking my heard that you think this is OK. How are people who legitimately need this space supposed to know that you will vacate the space if you see them.  Are they supposed to get out of their vehicle and ask you to move or should they honk the horn? Most people do not show their handicapped placard until they are parked so you don't know if a person needing this space saw you in it and just kept on going.  And yes I agree with the other poster who said you were both wrong. 

Honored Contributor

With all the road rage and shootings, I've been quite polite in all driving situations. Nutty people are everywhere.

Respected Contributor

There was no place to wait anywhere near the pickup spots without blocking the flow of traffic. It was a reasonable decision given the situation. Reasonable, not perfect. The SUV driver was correct in asking those questions -- I didn't need to be screamed at. And her screaming blocked me from offering an explanation. I would do it again.

Esteemed Contributor

Blocking a handicap space from someone who needs it is not a reasonable choice.  Am sure there were places further out to wait.  They shouldn't have had to ask you anything.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Yesterday all of the Walmart grocery pickup spots were filled with non-pickup empty cars (rare at my Walmart). So I half-parked in the handicapped area with my flashers on to wait for a spot, ready to move for someone if needed.

Within two minutes an SUV pulled up next to me with the driver signaling wildly. I lowered my window and she SCREAMED at me, "Are you parking in that handicapped spot or not? Where's your placard? Can't you see I have an elderly person with me?" And she points to the 90+ years woman in the passenger seat.

Yes, I could see her. I said no problem, and I pulled out.

The SUV parked, the roughly 40-year-old driver gets out leaving the motor running, leaving the elderly woman in the car, and she walks by herself into the store.

What's wrong with this picture?

Still shaking my head this morning.

As someone who had to take her father around in a wheelchair his last year or two of life, this is a pet peeve of mine that someone uses the handicapped space to park when there is no one in the car who is physically handicapped. I have had to park in regular spaces because of it, and they sometimes are not wide enough to open the door completely so I could help him get in and out easily. Plus, I had to push him further and he was not light. It was a matter of inconvenience.

Where I work there is one gal who consistently uses the handicapped space for her big car. Really irks me, but I try to tell myself it is none of my business. She likes it because it is close to the door. She puts up the blue placard on her rear-view mirror, which she used to use when taking one of her parents to places, but now uses it every day for her own use.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

There was no place to wait anywhere near the pickup spots without blocking the flow of traffic. It was a reasonable decision given the situation. Reasonable, not perfect. The SUV driver was correct in asking those questions -- I didn't need to be screamed at. And her screaming blocked me from offering an explanation. I would do it again.

I don't know if the rules are the same in all the states, but where I live what you did is illegal.  You can get ticketed for parking/blocking a handicapped space, even if you are in the car.

Respected Contributor

Simply doesn't matter what the other driver did, you were wrong & you know it so don't do it again. Be well @PickyPicky3.