Respected Contributor

Nurses in one Detroit hospital said they couldn't handle the number of ER patients they had.  The hospital would not call in more nurses and asked the ones who weren't happy about it to leave.  Some did leave.

I wonder how nurse staffing should be handled at this time.  Has anyone had any experience in this area?

Honored Contributor

I don't know how to make this change.

I do know that not only in the time of this virus, but all nurses I know have said this is a problem, in the ER's especially.

I think some states and hospital systems are worse than others and refuse to bring in enough nurses per patient or even leave some shifts with the nurses doing everything-transporting patients, doing cleaning,

not enough cna's or techs.

Some are made to lift or move patients they should not have to.

It is really bad and some of the insurance and pay is too.

I think California is supposed to be better, from what I've heard.

Many also are encouraged to come in when sick.

That is the sad reality.

I think a lot of it is because hospitals are a business and the head hanchos are interested in money; how much the hospital is making, how much they are willing to spend on staffing etc.

I wish they could be a nurse for 1 day!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why the people in charge wouldn't call more nurses in. How would that feel to be a patient, and know they were short staffed, and you were in bad shape anyway? This is not a normal time we are living in. It looks like folks could appreciate that. 

Respected Contributor

Patients in Detroit hospitals will soon be moved to other buildings that are being converted to take care of them...I only heard a little bit of the story so I don't  know how they'll be staffed & when the move will take place. Sadly, the city is a hotspot & overcrowding is a problem....I think the predicted virus peak is coming next week.

Respected Contributor

I am a retired Head nurse who worked for a level one trauma center in NY. It was also a city hospital. First once you elevate the problem with no results then you make out protest of assignment forms to protect yourself. Usually there is no way to get nurses in unless the hospital deals with an agency and these nurses have to be notified long before the shift starts.   When ER's backup it means they have no beds upstairs. You just wing it. I could have 10 patients and was in charge. You just can't leave your shift. 1- its unethical. 2- You've abandoned your patients. Best thing to do is to get the union involved. You just complete your shift and decide what's in your best interest. If you want to leave your job then so be it. But from experience nurses just don't leave. But we do like a good fight. 

Trusted Contributor

Unbelievable and loser-mentality what they did to their fellow warrior colleagues (who were forced to work 24hr shifts), and be exposed that much longer. 

Pathetic they are.

“I am of certain convinced that the greatest heroes are those who do their duty in the daily grind of domestic affairs whilst the world whirls as a maddening dreidel.”

Florence Nightingale

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver 5 minutes longer.”

---Ronald Reagan 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

They claimed that they all had to many patients to take care of and wouldn't be able to do a good job.  The solution .... walk out.  What a bunch of losers.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ER Nurses In Detroit

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

They claimed that they all had to many patients to take care of and wouldn't be able to do a good job.  The solution .... walk out.  What a bunch of losers.

Maybe you could volunteer at a hospital and help solve the problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

May you could volunteer at a hospital and help solve the problem.

Already working full time, taking care of my mother and don't have a nursing certificate, however I am sure there are many others on the board with the time available. Perhaps yourself.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

@JackieHN As one ED nurse to another, I agree with you! We do fight...for our patients!!! Most nurses would NEVER walk out on their patients! 

Sad to hear, if this is true.