Respected Contributor

Re: ER Dr. Fired For Complaints- Not Enough Supplies to Protect Workers

@sidsmom wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I'm sure there is more to this story.  It's hard to believe that ANY doctor would be terminated during this pandemic.

ITA...have a feeling there's not just more to the story,

but something WAY more to the story

considering the circumstances.

@sidsmom  @CAcableGirl2 

Doctors have been threatened not to speak out about the shortages of PPE.  And nurses as well.  It is very real. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

My niece is a nurse. She and many coworkers have been complaining about the lack of PPE for quite a few weeks. None of them have been fired. 

There's more to this story than has been revealed.

Honored Contributor

To me it sounds like the man was a trouble maker, going around hospital official spokespeople.  And he even admitted it was ego

Someone like this can cause mountains of trouble, legal, staff moral, trouble that has to be cleaned up and wastes time.

I'll bet it was a very justified and long over due termination.  You can't keep people like this on without tearing up everything you are trying to do.  And yes, we had to get rid of a couple of these over my work career.  I'll wager a guess his co-workers were happy. 

Respected Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

My niece is a nurse. She and many coworkers have been complaining about the lack of PPE for quite a few weeks. None of them have been fired. 

There's more to this story than has been revealed.

@Sushismom, could be.  I just know I have had phone calls and emails from former students of mine that are now nurses out there working.  I don't want to say too much because I want to protect them, but in many cases they are crying and they are scared.

And I want to protect them because they are telling me their administration has directly stated they are not to speak out in public about any shortages of PPE or ventilators.  Let the local officials and governors address those issues or not. 

I have to admit, it has been very hard for me because I usually end up crying as well and don't really have anything to offer them. The feeling of helplessness is sometimes overwhelming in those situations.  I just can't give away too much, but it has been a horrifying problem.  Told my husband a couple of days ago even Stephen King could not have written this horror story.

Hopefully it is getting better.  Some of the research of how to take used masks and sterilize them is hopeful at least.

Honored Contributor

It says in the story he was told to stop earlier in the month and he didn't.  Sounds cut and dry to me.  It shouldn't have been a total surprise when he was fired.

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

I'm sure there is more to this story.  It's hard to believe that ANY doctor would be terminated during this pandemic.

ITA...have a feeling there's not just more to the story,

but something WAY more to the story

considering the circumstances.

@sidsmom  @CAcableGirl2 

Doctors have been threatened not to speak out about the shortages of PPE.  And nurses as well.  It is very real. 

I don't doubt they've been threatened.

But it's not just 1 doctor...it's a zillion medical professionals.

I watch one after another talk about PPE shortages on CNN

every single day.  Not sure why he was singled out to be terminated.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@CAcableGirl2    Agreed.  It may be been not so much as what he did as the WAY he did it.  It's likely he violated policy or a direct order not to do what he did.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom, since the hospital he worked for was not in the epicenter for the cases in Washington state, I would suspect their administration didn't want their hospital being discussed in the news.  

Where the cat is out of the bag, it is already out.  But other hospitals don't want the cat out of the bag and don't want their hospital being discussed on the local news.  The other caveat here, in the defense of hospital administration is that we live in very different times today in which what kinds of resources you might get depends on how "nice" you are.  Therefore, they don't want their staff on the news or social media possibly offending someone that is making decisions about whether your hospital will be considered for supplies when they are all bidding against each other and depending on the feds to try and sort things out.

But I would also think that his statement in regard to how they were not screening outside also tipped the scales for him being fired.  

But don't overlook how important that information is for the public in terms of knowing what is going on in your neck of the woods.

One thing I can guarantee is that there are nurses being threatened if they speak out. Doesn't matter how many other nurses other places have talked about what they are facing, these particular nurses are being threatened they will be fired if they discuss the hospital situation with PPE and ventilators.  That is very real. 

Respected Contributor

I don't know how large this hospital chain is but there may be some tightening down on bad news since their hospital in Oregon was where an elderly married couple had recently received treatment for something within a week of one another, had contact, and died of this virus, even though they lived in different facilities.  Or it may have nothing at all to do with that but when I saw "Peace Health" their deaths were the first thing I thought of.