Honored Contributor

ENDING THE YEAR ON A LITTLE CHET BAKER JAZZ, TRUMPET AND VOCAL

https _images.genius.com_feb25902551fbf582f721980a630e432.457x457x1.jpg

Felt like a little Chet Baker, and can never decide which I like better, the "cool jazz-ster's" dreamy instrumentals, or his beautifully strange, equally arresting vocals.  What a talent.

361891569602.jpg

So here he is singing my favorite Rodgers and Hart,  "My Funny Valentine",  in that slow, meditative way that gets under your skin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPaYhemq_4I

2RaxowS.jpg

But if you like more abstract stylings of  "My Funny Valentine",  here's his wandering, smoky, insinuating trumpet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXDDrLzMVA

The young Chesney Henry ("Chet") Baker and wife Halema.  What a photogenic pair.

index.jpg

Whatever the circumstances of his tragic end (he fell from a hotel window in Amsterdam in the late Eighties, I think),  he managed to create a great deal of beauty.

Honored Contributor

Re: ENDING THE YEAR ON A LITTLE CHET BAKER JAZZ, TRUMPET AND VOCAL

@Oznell 

The older I get, the more I appreciate jazz.  I think I always liked it but I was in denial.

image.png

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wasn't he the best looking guy back in the day? Man! What drugs can do to a person. By the time he died he looked like an old man-not a semblance of his old self.

When he came on the scene I knew his name and that he was proclaimed the 'best trumpet player in America' (his reason for starting on heroin-the stress he said). It wasn't till recently that I heard, by sheer chance, this guy singing on my fave radio station. Chet Baker. He sings??? Yes, he sings. I describe his voice as so ordinary it's captivating, hahaha. Because I can't describe it is why! He actually sings just like he plays. It's a shame he couldn't sing along with his trumpet, lol. 

I love him singing, "I've Never Been in Love Before."

I like this one.

Who is Chet Baker dating? Chet Baker girlfriend, wife

Thanks, @Oznell .

Esteemed Contributor

Funny  ... I was just playing this LP (yes, an old LP) last week ... and this is my favorite vocal by Chet

I Fall In Love Too Easily (Vocal Version) - YouTube

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

Funny  ... I was just playing this LP (yes, an old LP) last week ... and this is my favorite vocal by Chet

Have you heard, "It's Always You"-great lyrics.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@SoX wrote:

Have you heard, "It's Always You"-great lyrics.

@Judaline 

It's on the vinyl LP that I own ... 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

@Judaline 

Just listened....and I really love his voice, but I've never heard it before.  I do love Jazz, but haven't taken a deep dive to past artists.

Was familiar with the name, but never listened.  Exquisite.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SoX I have the CD. Guess I didn't know he could sing back then. 

Honored Contributor

Blues and Jazz are my favorite music.  I love Mingus, Miles Davis, Grover Washington, Monk to name but a few.  Chet Baker's version of My Funny Valentine is excellent, his voice haunting and filled with feeling.  

I always wanted to go to the Newport Jazz festival but never did.  But jazz no doubt is an old and lasting type of music, it is filled with emotion and feeling, love.  There have been so many jazz greats for decades and I am grateful for it all!

Respected Contributor

If you are a big fan like me you must see this documentary from 1989.Wonderful and sad. My Funny Valentine every year.

Let's Get Lost