Respected Contributor

Re: EMT Suspended For Stopping To Try To Save Choking Girl

[ Edited ]

An EMT is trained in basic medical assessment. They aren't trained to assess any possible underlying medical conditions. They aren't doctors. 

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

I don't see this as an issue limited only to this one case.  It seems some others do and have not thought this through.  

For those that do, feel free to tell your loved one's EMT that she or he is free to leave the ambulance at will.  I won't be doing that.

You are completely overreacting and missing the point of this case.  The EMT evaluated the situation, weighed his options and made a decision based on all his surrounding circumstances to leave the vehicle to help someone choking.  I cannot understand how you are so losing perspective on this.

I can. Has to be right, no matter what.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

I don't see this as an issue limited only to this one case.  It seems some others do and have not thought this through.  

For those that do, feel free to tell your loved one's EMT that she or he is free to leave the ambulance at will.  I won't be doing that.

With all due respect for your opinion and your experience I think you are excluding the circumstances of this one case.  The ambulance was doing a transfer to an assisted living facility not transporting an endangered patient to the hospital as an emergency.

Did the EMT break the rules?  Unequivocally yes but considering the circumstances I applaud him and even though he was suspended without pay it would appear that the ambulance company did not have a major problem with his actions under the given circumstances or he would have been fired.

As for telling an EMT transporting me under the same situation, a transfer not under exigent circumstances, I would have encouraged him/her to do what s/he could for the child.  I would be negatively affected for the rest of my life if I learned a child died because I demanded s/he staye with me instead of rendering aid.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

An EMT is trained in basic medical assessment. They aren't trained to assess any possible underlying medical conditions. They aren't doctors. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ABSOLUTELY.

I frequently sing the praises of the EMT who saved my life.

I later had one who failed miserably to diagnose or even see what was happening to me and made a serious error.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

With all due respect for your opinion and your experience I think you are excluding the circumstances of this one case.  The ambulance was doing a transfer to an assisted living facility not transporting an endangered patient to the hospital as an emergency.

Did the EMT break the rules?  Unequivocally yes but considering the circumstances I applaud him and even though he was suspended without pay it would appear that the ambulance company did not have a major problem with his actions under the given circumstances or he would have been fired.

As for telling an EMT transporting me under the same situation, a transfer not under exigent circumstances, I would have encouraged him/her to do what s/he could for the child.  I would be negatively affected for the rest of my life if I learned a child died because I demanded s/he staye with me instead of rendering aid.

I absolutely agree Marp, the circumstances should be considered in this case.  Those that disagree should put themselves in the little girls mothers place, I'm sure they would change their mind.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of calling out another poster

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my gosh, that poor little girl was already blue.  She's not doing too good from the article posted.

How awful to be choking and people just standing around unable to help her.  Seconds can seem like minutes, HOURS-- when you can't catch your breath.  And coughing and gagging.  OM.....

She must have been terrified with no one helping her.  I hope she realizes someone DID step up and tried to save her.  She may have passed out by that point. I wouldn't want her leaving this earth not knowing that!

GOD BLESS HER.  And the EMT.

Valued Contributor

@Yankee2000 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

I absolutely agree Marp, the circumstances should be considered in this case.  Those that disagree should put themselves in the little girls mothers place, I'm sure they would change their mind.  

Of course they would!

Respected Contributor

I think he did the right thing. If the ambulance passed her by there would be an uproar about that too.