Esteemed Contributor

Re: EMT Suspended For Stopping To Try To Save Choking Girl

@Carmie, major kudos to you! One of the good people. Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

The EMT can at least sleep at night because he did the right thing for his situation at the time.

@Carmie  Exactly.  As I stated in my posts, there are other jobs but that girl only has one life.

@NoelSeven  I saw you were talking to Marp.  But when you post something, anyone can respond, and I did.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

The EMT can at least sleep at night because he did the right thing for his situation at the time.

@Carmie  Exactly.  As I stated in my posts, there are other jobs but that girl only has one life.

@NoelSeven  I saw you were talking to Marp.  But when you post something, anyone can respond, and I did.

You angrily told me off for my response.  You don't have that right, and I was a What If.

Now, if you stop baiting me, I will not return to this line.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I have lots of questions/concerns:

I'm assuming this was a private EMT service, judging from their website, since they transported a non-emergency patient.

Was 911 called before Mr. Reid removed himself from the vehicle? 

The girl is declared brain-dead.  Did Mr. Reid delay 911 help?  

Could he be held accountable for her death?

And the biggest 'Burying the Lead' part of the story:

"No one at the school was rendering first aid"

What sort of school doesn't have emergency processes in place for their students?   Are they at fault for her death?

He just might be out of a job AND in for a major lawsuit.  

City 911 EMTs could've been there in a short time, with different type of life-saving devices & procedures that might have saved this girl's life.  

I consider this EMT a hero. He did the right thing given the existing circumstances. No one at the school had called 911, he called. The poor little girl was already blue when he got to her. So few people are willing to risk doing anything anymore, it's just easier to ignore a situation and let someone die, not my problem. We need more Qwasi Reids in our world.

Not just "easier," but there's also fear of reprisals (such as this EMT got) and/or lawsuits.  That's how Good Samaritan laws came into existence - to protect people who do get involved to help from suffering later for it.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

From the EMT's perspective, I'd rather get suspended or even fired and find another job, than live with the guilt of having driven by and the girl died when I may have been able to save her.   She sounds like she may not make it anyway, but at least the EMT did his best.  If he'd driven by and read later that she died, if he's a good person which it sounds like he is, he'd probably forever feel guilty about it.  

That's why I think he did the right thing - for both the girl and himself.

What would you think if the person inside the ambulance died because it didn't get to an ER in time... just minutes too late?

It was stated the ambulance person had a non-life threatening illness.  An EMT made a sound judgement based on knowledge of the patient in their care.  He had the skills to possibly save a young girl; I applaud him and would have done the same thing.  It is a moral decision but against protocol.  I am sure the EMT as stated rested better knowing he tried; he will get another job tho he broke protocol but if he told his story to me, a nurse, I would hire him in a nanosecond.  We have too many people in this world who turn a blind eye to those in need for fear of involvement or legal repercussions 

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

From the EMT's perspective, I'd rather get suspended or even fired and find another job, than live with the guilt of having driven by and the girl died when I may have been able to save her.   She sounds like she may not make it anyway, but at least the EMT did his best.  If he'd driven by and read later that she died, if he's a good person which it sounds like he is, he'd probably forever feel guilty about it.  

What would you think if the person inside the ambulance died because it didn't get to an ER in time... just minutes too late?

It was stated the ambulance person had a non-life threatening illness.  An EMT made a sound judgement based on knowledge of the patient in their care.  He had the skills to possibly save a young girl; I applaud him and would have done the same thing.  It is a moral decision but against protocol.  I am sure the EMT as stated rested better knowing he tried; he will get another job tho he broke protocol but if he told his story to me, a nurse, I would hire him in a nanosecond.  We have too many people in this world who turn a blind eye to those in need for fear of involvement or legal repercussions 

An EMT is not an MD.  As I already stated, I was the What If at one time, taken in for something the EMT did not realize was as serious as it was.

That's probably why the ambulance company has that rule.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

BTW, I love EMTs.  Another time, an EMT saved my life by performing a then unrecognized procedure.

Trusted Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

An EMT is not an MD.  As I already stated, I was the What If at one time, taken in for something the EMT did not realize was as serious as it was.

That's probably why the ambulance company has that rule.

you're right, they are not. They are trained in critical situations to stablize a person, call the ER to give the details so they are prepared and can assess a situation better than a lot of MD's who are not specifically trained in this area. You'd probably be hard pressed to find an MD anymore who could do an emergency trach for someone turning blue,

I trust EMT's with my life. Emergency Medical Technician. That's what they do, take care of emergencies. And I doubt that this is why the company has a rule just in case they see someone outside the ambulance who looks like they are dying. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

He is not authorized to make those decisions, the company did the right thing imo.

Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

He is not authorized to make those decisions, the company did the right thing imo.

I don't care who I worked for, if I saw I could provide assistance in a life or death situation, I would make the call for life. In the hierarchy of moral (doing the right thing) or rules, moral trumps rules every time. 

Honestly, I wouldn't want to work for that company because they sent a message loud and clear that they will look out only for themselves. Lots of better places to work.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop