Trusted Contributor

Re: EMT Suspended For Stopping To Try To Save Choking Girl

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

From the EMT's perspective, I'd rather get suspended or even fired and find another job, than live with the guilt of having driven by and the girl died when I may have been able to save her.   She sounds like she may not make it anyway, but at least the EMT did his best.  If he'd driven by and read later that she died, if he's a good person which it sounds like he is, he'd probably forever feel guilty about it.  

That's why I think he did the right thing - for both the girl and himself.

What would you think if the person inside the ambulance died because it didn't get to an ER in time... just minutes too late?

so basically you're saying a trained medical professional faced with two crises situations has to decide who to save? Your statement is based on supposition and as it has been pointed out, the person in the ambulance was obviously already stable so why argue about something based on a supposition? 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

In this case the ambulance driver made his decision and from what I have read both patients were given consideration.To drive by a dying child when you could be of any help is just something that I think is only possible for those who have no heart.I hope he gets to remain at his job.

Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

From the EMT's perspective, I'd rather get suspended or even fired and find another job, than live with the guilt of having driven by and the girl died when I may have been able to save her.   She sounds like she may not make it anyway, but at least the EMT did his best.  If he'd driven by and read later that she died, if he's a good person which it sounds like he is, he'd probably forever feel guilty about it.  

What would you think if the person inside the ambulance died because it didn't get to an ER in time... just minutes too late?

If the patient in the ambulance had been critical and unstable the ambulance would be responding under code and not stopping for a traffic light.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have lots of questions/concerns:

I'm assuming this was a private EMT service, judging from their website, since they transported a non-emergency patient.

Was 911 called before Mr. Reid removed himself from the vehicle? 

The girl is declared brain-dead.  Did Mr. Reid delay 911 help?  

Could he be held accountable for her death?

And the biggest 'Burying the Lead' part of the story:

"No one at the school was rendering first aid"

What sort of school doesn't have emergency processes in place for their students?   Are they at fault for her death?

He just might be out of a job AND in for a major lawsuit.  

City 911 EMTs could've been there in a short time, with different type of life-saving devices & procedures that might have saved this girl's life.  

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

If the patient in the ambulance had been critical and unstable the ambulance would be responding under code and not stopping for a traffic light.

The condition is not always determined, I know that from experience.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

For the last time, I"M GOING BY WHAT WAS STATED IN THE ARTICLEl.  

Why do you continue to argue about it with "what ifs"?.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

For the last time, I"M GOING BY WHAT WAS STATED IN THE ARTICLEl.  

Why do you continue to argue about it with "what ifs"?.

Pearley,

Look again, I was not talking to you I was responding to what Marp said TO ME.

Are you saying I don't have that right?  You are not Marp.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I'm assuming this was a private EMT service, judging from their website, since they transported a non-emergency patient.

What sort of school doesn't have emergency processes in place for their students?   Are they at fault for her death?

City 911 EMTs could've been there in a short time, with different type of life-saving devices & procedures that might have saved this girl's life.  

So this girl was in school & started choking & nobody could help her? Now she is brain dead because nobody knew what to do?  All the teachers should know CPR.

I don't blame the EMT for stopping to help as long as the patient in the ambulance had nothing life threatening. I'm sure that was the case or he would not have stopped. He may be in some trouble though. The rules say don't do it for a reason. It would be hard to pass someone by that you thought you could help.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I consider this EMT a hero. He did the right thing given the existing circumstances. No one at the school had called 911, he called. The poor little girl was already blue when he got to her. So few people are willing to risk doing anything anymore, it's just easier to ignore a situation and let someone die, not my problem. We need more Qwasi Reids in our world.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Our world is crazy and upside down.  You're dammed if you do and damed if you don't.

About 3 years ago, I saved a child who was choking on a very large gum ball he licked from the top of a cupcake.  He was already turning blue when I saw him.

i got "in trouble" for not going to get a nurse instead of helping him myself.

I would do it again and be dammed with stupid rules.  I do have a Life saving certification... It was just kinda expired at the time.

It was at a school function with other adults who just stood there screaming because they froze.

The EMT can at least sleep at night because he did the right thing for his situation at the time.