Regular Contributor

Re: EMMA THOMPSON IS NOW A DAME

He is royalty. Do not touch! Please.....
Honored Contributor

@Booksamillion wrote:
He is royalty. Do not touch! Please.....

I wonder what would happen if someone (Emma or anyone---perhaps a child) did kiss William?

I'm sure it's a faux pas, but not breaking the law!

Regular Contributor

The Tower for sure😌 traditions die hard. Lol
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

They're not even running shoes or, looks to me, any kind of athletic shoe.  Look at those soles.  They're just white  All you can see at the white toes and if you zoom in the soles are like those on a street shoe.

Bad taste isn't disrespect, is it? 

I like Emma, she's one of a kind.

I like her, too, @QueenDanceALot, and I think she looks fine.   Here's the British Vogue UK description of her ensemble.

"November 7 2018 served as an excellent reminder of how darn fabulous Emma Thompson is. The actress received her damehood from the Duke of Cambridge at Buckingham Palace for her services to drama wearing a custom teal Stella McCartney suit – and vegan Stan Smith trainers also of McCartney’s design."

I don't understand the negative spin in some of the comments on this thread.   We think it's perfectly fine for a man to walk in with his shiny bald head or freshly combed back hair, certainly no makeup or jewels, and usually quite unremarkable clothing easily and quickly tossed on, but somehow for her to choose this simple hair style isn't okay?    Such strange standards we have, don't we.   She looks so happy, and comes across as someone who radiates joie de vivre.   Her family was there with her, too, and they look happy.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Emma was bestowed a tremendous honor, and she should have dressed for the occasion.  If she didn't feel like taking it seriously, she should have politely declined.  While the monarchy, as it stands, can be archaic at times, they will always hang on to tradition.  Society is running amok in so many ways and it is good to have some traditions to return to.  In my opinion, that should include knowing how to dress appropriately for certain events.  I, for one, am tired of seeing ball caps and jeans at weddings and funerals.  It is about respect.  In the case of being knighted, if Ringo Starr could dress appropriately when he was knighted, Emma Thompson could have pulled it together.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a part of the People magazine article.   Sounds to me as though she's been a close family friend since the boys were young, and this was a light-hearted atmosphere and people enjoying themselves.😊

"Emma Thompson knows a royal opportunity when she sees it!

The actress asked Prince William for a smooch as he made her a Dame — one of Britain’s highest honors.

On Wednesday, the Love Actually star, 59, was appointed a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire at Buckingham Palace in London.  She made good use of the investiture ceremony to slip in her bold request.

“I love Prince William,” she told reporters about the royal father of three.

“I’ve known him since he was little, and we just sniggered at each other.   I said, ‘I can’t kiss you, can I?’  And he said, ‘No, don’t!'”

Even though she did not land a kiss, Thompson, who rocked sneakers and a suit at the ceremony, sang the prince’s praises.   “He’s looking wonderful and doing so well,” she commented. “He said, ‘This day isn’t about me, it’s about you.'”

“It’s really lovely because I’ve always loved the boys, and I’ve always been a long-term correspondent with their dad,” Thompson added.  “It’s a very lovely feeling.”...  "

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm surprise she accepted.  Who cares about the shoes already.

Related image

People who respect traditions, others, and appreciate receiving an honor cae about shoes.  People who respect others care about shoes.  People who don't want to look like a rube or an ingrate care about shoes.  

Regular Contributor

Good for her. She is talented😊
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Ouch!  She asked to kiss William and he said no?  That's got to sting.

She knows better.  She did it to put him on the spot.  Good for him for saying no! 

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

They're not even running shoes or, looks to me, any kind of athletic shoe.  Look at those soles.  They're just white  All you can see at the white toes and if you zoom in the soles are like those on a street shoe.

Bad taste isn't disrespect, is it? 

I like Emma, she's one of a kind.

I like her, too, @QueenDanceALot, and I think she looks fine.   Here's the British Vogue UK description of her ensemble.

"November 7 2018 served as an excellent reminder of how darn fabulous Emma Thompson is. The actress received her damehood from the Duke of Cambridge at Buckingham Palace for her services to drama wearing a custom teal Stella McCartney suit – and vegan Stan Smith trainers also of McCartney’s design."

I don't understand the negative spin in some of the comments on this thread.   We think it's perfectly fine for a man to walk in with his shiny bald head or freshly combed back hair, certainly no makeup or jewels, and usually quite unremarkable clothing easily and quickly tossed on, but somehow for her to choose this simple hair style isn't okay?    Such strange standards we have, don't we.   She looks so happy, and comes across as someone who radiates joie de vivre.   Her family was there with her, too, and they look happy.😊

A lot of us think we should go out of our, put on our best face, dress appropriately, not make a spectable of ourselves, be happy and greatful to be honored and have some class in accepting an award.

It is a matter of a little self sacrifice to be thankful, to show respect and to not act like an egotistical ass.  Why make the effort to call attention to your shoes, not have good looking hair (maybe like you have put some effort into it), and ask about a kiss that she obviously knows flys in the face of established protocol?  Why do this?  To a lot of us it just says that someone like that simply must call attention to themselves, point out that they have no respect, and make the point that THEY can do as they please to heck with the rest of the world.