Super Contributor

Re: EMMA THOMPSON IS NOW A DAME

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@lulu1 wrote:

I have my own thoughts about wearing sneakers to such a formal event.  Aside from that, the fact that the pants are puddling would lead me to believe they were tailored for a higher shoe.

As for Americans being stuffy; often we are accused of being too casual.

When I said "stuffy" I was referring to attitude, not appearance.

And my post was about the opinions the British posters and their opinions of Americans regarding fashion and tradition.  They don't think much of Americans when it comes to dressing appropriately and following etiquette in more formal settings, at least on this forum.  I think Queen Letizia makes amazing fashion choices and many of the British find her far too edgy for a queen.

Trusted Contributor

I can't imagine having to worry about being received well by royalty, the press or the public, so thankful I never will! 

I have always thought ET is adorable and very talented in her crafts. Maybe she was trying to make some kind statement with her fashion choice. 

Congrats to her - now a Dame. 

Honored Contributor

Still yammering about the shoes?

LOL  I didn't know all the critics were fashion editors.  lmao

Emma doesn't care, the royals do not care, it was her decision and I'm amazed how this whole event brought out such silly attacks against her.

In the end, how does this affect anybody here?  It' doesn't.

Yes, I get the opinion card being played.  But once I start seeing the word "should" punctuating posts over and over again, it's not an opinion but a control issue.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

she's a favorite.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Still yammering about the shoes?

LOL  I didn't know all the critics were fashion editors.  lmao

Emma doesn't care, the royals do not care, it was her decision and I'm amazed how this whole event brought out such silly attacks against her.

In the end, how does this affect anybody here?  It' doesn't.

Yes, I get the opinion card being played.  But once I start seeing the word "should" punctuating posts over and over again, it's not an opinion but a control issue.

@Cakers3    I don't think you can know that, unless perhaps Philip and Elizabeth had to over for tea recently?

Honored Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@lulu1 wrote:

I have my own thoughts about wearing sneakers to such a formal event.  Aside from that, the fact that the pants are puddling would lead me to believe they were tailored for a higher shoe.

As for Americans being stuffy; often we are accused of being too casual.

When I said "stuffy" I was referring to attitude, not appearance.

And my post was about the opinions the British posters and their opinions of Americans regarding fashion and tradition.  They don't think much of Americans when it comes to dressing appropriately and following etiquette in more formal settings, at least on this forum.  I think Queen Letizia makes amazing fashion choices and many of the British find her far too edgy for a queen.

Are you talking to me?  My response you reference here was to @lulu1.

I don't care what British posters think of Americans regarding fashion and tradition.

But I think Queen Letizia is FABULOUS!

Trusted Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

She received her damehood for services to Drama.  I guess they don't have stars engraved into the city streets.  

A damehood or knighthood has a whole lot more class and prestige than a star on a walk of fame.  

What did she do beside being an actress?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question -- are you asking why she would get a damehood just for "being an actress"? As you noted above, she received her damehood for services to Drama; that is, her contribution to the dramatic arts. She is an Academy Award winning actress and writer (I read that she's the only person ever to win for both), as well as a producer. She has had a very distinguished career and is well deserving of such an honor.

Yet the taxpayer foot the bill.  Seems like a waste of money.