Trusted Contributor

Re: ELIMINATING FRIENDS WHO BRING YOU DOWN

As I've aged, I've eliminated the "Debbie Downers" in my circle of friends. That wasn't always the case. I tolerated more; rationalized "friends" behavior, gave more than I got. Life's too short, & my time's too precious to spend time with ones who don't treat me with the same regard that I'd give them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No a lot of my friends pared me down when I had spine surgery and could no longer work and go out running around like they can. Another words I found out who my real friends were, not friends that only wanted me when I could go dancing and do physical activities I cant do now.

So I focus on my husband, my children, grandchildren, and few friends I have yet from a life time and that's enough for me.

But I must say I was very hurt at first when my former co workers and some good friends from school dumped me after my spine issues, when I stood by them through everything. And to add- I never whined about my spine and pain to any of them. As a matter of fact when one of those friends smashed her hip I tried to help her through it. But oh well life moves on, I have enough people who love and support me, and I love and support them. I am very blessed!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

God has pared down my list of friends fast enough.He has inflicted a couple with altzheimers disease and has taken  some others home too soon. I do not really get myself involved with people who are drama queens or always needy.I will back away from them right away. My good friends and I are in a many years now give & take equally relationships. There are 6 of us & we really pull together when one of us needs help.

Honored Contributor

I guess I figured out --- finally ---- that I don't need the grief of dealing with people who are supposed to be my friends and always ended up making me feel worse after I talked with them or spent time with them.  Constantly trying to be supportive and not judgmental is something I feel is necessary in being a true friend.  I always felt that I offered this and sadly when I needed it, it rarely got returned.  I ended up feeling  more sad, lonely, and depressed.  With friends like this, who needs enemies?  So, I have more of what I call "acquaintances" now.  I got tired of being disappointed and expecting "friends" to treat me the way I treated them.  These days, I focus on husband, family and self.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I just did a total overhaul of my friends list on Facebook. I unfriended about 6 names off my list. I'm much happier now. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

i only want "can do" people around me -  no whiners!  i like high energy people who are problem solvers and are positive.  no room for negativity or sitting around wallowing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

As I've aged, I've eliminated the "Debbie Downers" in my circle of friends. That wasn't always the case. I tolerated more; rationalized "friends" behavior, gave more than I got. Life's too short, & my time's too precious to spend time with ones who don't treat me with the same regard that I'd give them.

I agree and I did the same thing

Honored Contributor

I will be 66  in a few days and definitely agree with you!

Image result for small happy face pics

Honored Contributor

If they would just bring back the 'Ignore' feature here to eliminate some toxic posters from our lives, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I too agree with most of you.   I also never had a large group of friends.   Many people are just aquaintances.   Unfortunately, after going through breast cancer, surgery, chemo and radiation..........that's when you know who your true friends are.  I'm 56 years old and hold my few close friends dear to my heart.