Esteemed Contributor

Re: ••• EERIE True Story of "The Watcher" •••

I haven't spent a lot of time in Westfield, but it is a nice area. This is just so Weird NJ!!

Respected Contributor

I don't think it's a hoax.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Read about it in the Washington Post and found it to be so strange. The watcher tells enough about himself, that I would think they could figure out who this person is.
Respected Contributor

AuntG unless the person makes up some of the things to throw the investigators off and that might be why it's still not solved, maybe they're dealing with a brilliant crafty creep.

Honored Contributor

after all of these years i didnt realize that the amityville house was a hoax??!!!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Was it THE Amityville Horror house?

That was a hoax?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

3 new stories on this:

"'The Watcher': New Jersey Family Forced Out Of Their Home, Neighbor Has New Information, Lawsuit Tells A Horrifying Story"

CLICK LINK:
http://www.inquisitr.com/2207463/the-watcher-new-jersey-family-forced-out-of-their-home-neighbor-has...

::

"What former FBI profilers, criminologists are saying about 'The Westfield Watcher'"

CLICK LINK:
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/06/what_criminologists_are_saying_about_the_watcher.html

"Westfield neighbors have their own theories about 'The Watcher'"

CLICK LINK:
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/06/westfield_neighbors_react_to_the_watcher.html

New Contributor

I agree this is creepy, if true. I may be a little cynical but I find it hard to believe that the previous owners never spread this story if they were experiencing the same things.  You would think they would have told someone and if New Jersey is like my home, news like that would spread quickly. Also, apparently the realtor never heard the story because the current  owners didn't include him/her in the suit.  There was a case a few years ago where some nut lost her bid for a house she wanted to buy and then tormented the family who bought it hoping they would sell. Maybe this is a similar story.

Valued Contributor

@seashoregal wrote:

I agree this is creepy, if true. I may be a little cynical but I find it hard to believe that the previous owners never spread this story if they were experiencing the same things.  You would think they would have told someone and if New Jersey is like my home, news like that would spread quickly. Also, apparently the realtor never heard the story because the current  owners didn't include him/her in the suit.  There was a case a few years ago where some nut lost her bid for a house she wanted to buy and then tormented the family who bought it hoping they would sell. Maybe this is a similar story.

I saw that story on Dateline or 20/20.  The stalker's name was Kathy Rowe.  Here's the story:

A San Diego woman who was sentenced for stalking a married couple was upset she had lost her dream home to them in a bidding war.

“I had put so much hope into this house,” Kathy Rowe told ABC's Chris Connelly in an exclusive interview that will air in full Friday on ABC News' "20/20." “When I walked in, it felt like my house... it’s almost like, you know, you hear bluebirds sing and music play. I walked in, it was my house.”

In 2011, Rowe, 53, put a bid on a house in the posh Carmel Valley neighborhood. But when she found out she had been outbid, she sought revenge through what she said were just pranks.

“It felt like the house I always wanted to own, I just felt comfortable,” Rowe said. “And when I found out we didn’t get it, it was devastating. It was heartbreaking.”

Those winning homebuyers were Janice Ruhter and Jerry Rice, a married couple with a young child and a new baby on the way, who had dumped their life savings into what they thought would be their dream home.

But shortly after moving in, Ruhter and Rice said strange things started happening. They received $1,000 worth of bills for adult diapers and magazines subscriptions they said they never ordered. They found their house re-listed for sale online, and buyers started showing up in their yard. There was an online ad for a New Year’s Eve party at their house that they said they never planned.

“You get scared, you know, that’s your house. It should be a place of safety,” Ruhter said. “With that out there, that safety just disappears.”

Then things got worse. One Valentine’s Day, Rice said neighbors’ wives were sent Valentine’s Day cards with his name signed on the cards. Then Rice discovered online posts advertising sex with his wife, telling strangers to just show up at the house during the day.

Rice got the police involved, but the couple endured almost a year of harassment before investigators arrested Rowe. She pleaded guilty to stalking in November and was sentenced in January to a year of home electronic surveillance, five years of probation, and ordered to stay away from the couple for 10 years.

"I may be the least liked person in San Diego County," Rowe said. "A horrible, evil person who wanted to harm this nice couple. I did not intend to harm them."

Despite Rowe being brought to justice, Rice said he and his family continue to live in fear.

“Anyone coming up to the door, you wonder, ‘why is that person coming here?’” Rice said. “You know? It could be anyone."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Her sentence was something that really puzzled me.  A year of home electronic surveillance and five years probation?  She mentally and emotionally tortured that couple! 

I wonder why mental and emotional abuse seem less harmful in the eyes of the judicial system?  Why does one have to be physically assaulted in order to be able to prove they have been damaged?  That makes no sense to me.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Respected Contributor

I live a couple of towns over and we never heard about this until the article was in the paper and then it was picked up by the local news stations.