Honored Contributor

EDWARD L. AYERS ON THE CIVIL WAR

Civil War ruins of a bank in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County.

The other night I listened to an hour-long, online interview with prize-winning historian Edward L. Ayers on his latest volume on the Civil War, called "The Thin Light of Freedom:  Civil War and Emancipation in the Heart of America". 

Ayers is one of the most published historians in the U.S., and president emeritus of the University of Richmond.  "The Thin Light...."  has recently won the Lincoln Prize.

What grabbed me about this is that he looks at the War and its aftermath through the lens of two counties, that would be aligned against each other, only 200 miles apart--  Augusta County in Virginia, and Franklin County in Pennsylvania. 

He got the idea while driving through the beautiful Shenandoah valley, which spans the areas.  He noted that here, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia, all look alike, yet they were pulled asunder.  If the interview is any basis for judgment, he's able to get a very personal, layered and intricate look into the conflict.

Sounded like a good book for a long, winter season.

Honored Contributor

Re: EDWARD L. AYERS ON THE CIVIL WAR

@Oznell  Thanks for the info on this.  I've requested the book from our library.  Although DH and I are very interested in Civil War history, have to admit I was unaware of this author.  

Honored Contributor

As was I, @kaydee50.   Apparently he has done a number on the Civil War,  on Reconstruction, and on 19th century life in general....

Honored Contributor

A year ago, I asked my son to buy a certain book about the Civil War for my birthday. I forgot the name of the book and the author. But I thought I explained the book well. He thought the book was just published. So he bought the most recent book published. Of course, it was not the same book.

I put the book away and never read it. Now I will have to dig it out and see if the author is Edward Ayers.

A friend was made a member of the DAR. And she has been going to many old cemeteries and they clean the headstones and clear up any debris. She has been currently working in the Gettysburg and Carlisle cemeteries.

The Antietam Battlefield was at the end of the road where my brother lived. So everytime we would visit, we would seem to learn more about the Battle, from my brother and his friends and neighbors.  

Will have to find that book.

Respected Contributor

thanks, @Oznell.  i grew up in the Shenandoah -  in Staunton - and this has piqued my interest.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting to hear your personal ties to historical material like this, @drizzellla and @ms traditional!