Honored Contributor

Re: ED line by Ellen Degeneres

@Bri36 wrote:

She doesn't have children.  I've never heard her say she doesn't like them.  She has them on her show frequently. 

However she feels about children, she can certainly put her name on a children's line.  I don't think she actually designs the line.  She might have input. 

I guess I just don't think about these sorts of things.  LOL

@Bri36  I agree that she doesn't actually design this line (or anything else her name is attached).  I'm sure whoever does her lines knows her likes/dislikes and she would have the final say/input.

But I don't see her hovered over a designing draft setup.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Ellen gives millions of dollars on a regular basis to over 50 charities.  As far as I'm concerned, the more money she makes, the more she's able to help others.  Charities rely on independent donations from wealthy individuals to continue their good work.  To say you're not going to buy her products because she has too much money doesn't make much sense.  I suspect people hating on her and her product line may not have to do with her wealth or success.  

Honored Contributor

How does anyone here know anything about her personally? How do you know that she's just all for the money? How do you know that she doesn't like children.

For goodness' sake, she's a comic at heart and quite a philanthropist. Those are facts.

The rest of the stuff thrown at here is pure conjecture, and I bet that it has more to with the elephant in the room than anything else.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

How does anyone here know anything about her personally? How do you know that she's just all for the money? How do you know that she doesn't like children.

For goodness' sake, she's a comic at heart and quite a philanthropist. Those are facts.

The rest of the stuff thrown at here is pure conjecture, and I bet that it has more to with the elephant in the room than anything else.

@suzyQ3  I concur but it is also conjecture that ED is not liked for that elephant. 

It is possible to not like a person for other reasons. 

Whether one likes her or not, it is still ok to not like her products.  Whether it's because of "her" is another issue.  I don't think a broadstroke is fair, somethimes.

I like her as a comic; I know she has a Foundation and gives generously;  I know she always has children on her show and dotes on her niece/nephew.

But I don't care for her products. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Ellen is one of the most giving celebrities I know of.  She is like Oprah on steroids if you ever watched her shows.  She's always helping out the down trodden and goes full tilt when it comes to her audience members not only around Christmas but all year long.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3  I concur but it is also conjecture that ED is not liked for that elephant. 

It is possible to not like a person for other reasons. 

Whether one likes her or not, it is still ok to not like her products.  Whether it's because of "her" is another issue.  I don't think a broadstroke is fair, somethimes.

I like her as a comic; I know she has a Foundation and gives generously;  I know she always has children on her show and dotes on her niece/nephew.

But I don't care for her products. 

@Cakers3, absolutely. And I probably shouldn't have phrased it as "more to do..."  But let's just say that I've been around here for a long time. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Cakers - You are right about the company name.

My point is that

Cover Girl, the company she does ads for,  tests on animals.

Cover Girl is not cruelty free.

Still a big turn off for me.

Honored Contributor

Lots of very wealthy people put their names on a huge range of products. One popped into my head just now. People who hardly need the money, like the popper. Is it all of them anyone has a problem with, or just Ellen?

I do think it's entirely possible to not care for her or her products or show and that has zero to do with her orientation. My mother doesn't care for her show and doesn't see her talents. And she is nothing like that at all in her views. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

I think Ellen is a hoot, and very funny. Doesn't matter to me whether she has a left handed elephant or a right handed one.

I've only caught a couple of her Q shows though and have not purchased anything (nothing really jumped out at me).

I've also never really paid any attention to whether her products get good reviews or not, but now I am curious. Does anyone know if they are generally of good quality?

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Honored Contributor

@catchersmom I have one of her sweaters, one with a dog on it that I got for a good deal on her web site. The original price was insane, would never pay that. It's very thin. For what it is the quality is good. I saw her wearing it on her show and thought it was so cute. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"