Honored Contributor

Re: EBAY: SELLING EXPENSIVE ITEMS

And how about checking the Antiques Roadshow site for links to other sites, advice and info. Reputable source with good recommendations, I'd think.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Are there any local antique shops that might be interested?

I agree with @Plaid Pants2

If the antique auctions online weren't interested, my next contact would be local antique dealers in your area. (or hers).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

If you  look at the comps on eBay for "mother of pearl gaming chips" and block the Chinese chips to eliminate most of the new stuff, the few results are very cheaply priced. Sales on complete auctions are poor and the prices are low.

My personal experience could be instructive. I bought a curious vase on eBay that turned out to be a collectors' piece. Vases from the same maker were being offered and sold on eBay for a few hundred to several hundred dollars, but I didn't like the risk picture and knew I wasn't getting the targeted market that might drive the price up. I looked at the Antiques  Roadshow website, found one of their experts who specialized in this kind of thing, and consigned the vase to his auction house. That turned a $6 eBay buy from a Pennsylvania clean-out seller into $1,600 when an online bidder won it, and I didn't have to worry about PayPal alerting me 5 months and 29 days later that the buyer had changed his or her mind and I had to give it all back.

IMO, eBay is absolutely not the way to go on something like th is. I'd also never sell for friends of neighbors because if the items fetch less than  expected, it's on you. But that's between you and the neighbor.

Occasional Contributor

I'd like to suggest John Moran Auctioneers in Monrovia CA.  I worked for them years ago, they have a wonderful reputation for selling fine antiques............Sothby's referred clients to them all the time.  You can find their website on line.

Honored Contributor

Just for reference -

I found a 2015 ebay auction on a set of MOP chips from Asprey's with a damaged box. They said it had recently been appraised fror $4000 to $6000. They were asking for a bid of $2000 to start. There were no bidders. Seller was in the US.

You might get more $$ by contacting British auction houses, or looking on the UK Antiques roadshow site. Asprey's doesn't mean to the US what it means in the UK. Might be more collectible there.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I would stay away 

if something goes wrong, who wants to be in the middle of this, 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

And how about checking the Antiques Roadshow site for links to other sites, advice and info. Reputable source with good recommendations, I'd think.

GREAT idea ... thanks !

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Just for reference -

I found a 2015 ebay auction on a set of MOP chips from Asprey's with a damaged box. They said it had recently been appraised fror $4000 to $6000. They were asking for a bid of $2000 to start. There were no bidders. Seller was in the US.

You might get more $$ by contacting British auction houses, or looking on the UK Antiques roadshow site. Asprey's doesn't mean to the US what it means in the UK. Might be more collectible there.

@Moonchilde

I just tried to duplicate that search and couldn't.  How did you get back to a 2015 auction?

Esteemed Contributor

I used to be a Seller on Ebay for many years.....I would NOT sell them on there now.

As one of the other posters said.....the buyer could say they were counterfeit and mail you back anything and they would get their money back.....then what do you do....you would have to make good on the deal out of your own pocket......

Too many scammers on there and Paypal doesn't think twice about refunding their money.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt I had no idea PayPal worked that way. Sorry you ot taken advantage of in this transaction.

This is an interesting thread. The key to selling at a fair price seems to be finding the auction house with the right clientele, and that might be outside the U.S.