Esteemed Contributor

Re: E-COLI IN ROMAINE LETTUCE AGAIN

[ Edited ]

This is serious.  For more information please click on the embedded link to the CDC Food Safety Alert.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is warning people across the U.S. not to eat romaine lettuce, citing an outbreak of E. coli.

The CDC said the broad warning is in place until it can gather more information.

“CDC is advising that U.S. consumers not eat any romaine lettuce, and retailers and restaurants not serve or sell any, until we learn more about the outbreak,” the agency said Tuesday. “This investigation is ongoing and the advice will be updated as more information is available.”

According to the agency, 32 people in 11 states have been infected with E. coli so far. Thirteen people have been hospitalized, including one person who developed a type of kidney failure, but there have been no reported deaths.

The CDC is telling people to throw away any romaine lettuce that they already have in their homes.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My husband came home from the supermarket with a bag of butter lettuce and leaf lettuce. I wonder if leaf lettuce is the same as romaine???

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to @Tyak for bringing this to our attention. I hadn't heard it in the news and from what Marp says this is really serious. I was so bummed last time this happened because I love romaine. Add to that the people that are adversely affected and it's just terrible news. 

Also thanks to Krimpette for returning and saying she didn't mean to offend anyone. That was a nice thing to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

My husband came home from the supermarket with a bag of butter lettuce and leaf lettuce. I wonder if leaf lettuce is the same as romaine???

@Trinity11, they are not the same.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11, they are not the same.

Thanks @Marp.

Valued Contributor

Ok CDC, and you can reimburse me the 8 bucks I spent on it. I'll wait for more information.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, @Tyak. It’s the first I heard of it. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I saw the below article today on the internet today:

One thing you'll want to avoid on Thanksgiving—or at any time in the near future—is romaine lettuce. The CDC issued an alert two days before the holiday warning that no romaine is safe to eat as an E. coli outbreak spreads, reports NBC News. It doesn't matter where the romaine is from or even if you or a loved one has eaten some and not gotten sick. The advice from the CDC is the same: Toss it. A bag of mixed salad that includes romaine? Toss it. In fact, the alert includes advice on how to clean your refrigerator if romaine has been inside it recently. So far, 32 people in 11 states have gotten sick, and 13 required hospitalization. No deaths have been reported.

"This advice includes all types or uses of romaine lettuce, such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and bags and boxes of precut lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad," the CDC said. "If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine or whether a salad mix contains romaine, do not eat it and throw it away." (Tainted water was blamed in a different outbreak involving romaine earlier this year.)

Honored Contributor

Animal meat consumption and animal byproduct consumption

causing more & more issues for those eating the healthy foods.

Valued Contributor

I saw this on the news earlier and threw a new bag out. What I don't understand - the last time this happened, all of my local grocery stores still sold it. Let's face it, not everyone watches the news, so why do stores still stock something potentially harmful?