Respected Contributor

Re: Dutch woman dies after catching COVID -19 twice.

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Yes, this is sad, but they really had no business giving her chemo in her state.  My DH had a bone marrow compromising disease.  His blood counts had to be in certain parameters before any treatment was ever given. Sometimes he had to wait until his counts rebounded even if that meant he would be off the protocol schedule.

If this same woman had contracted the flu instead of Covid in this same situation, would they say the flu killed her?  I think ultimately, her cancer killed her.  When you are beat down from chemo, you have NOTHING to fight disease.  

Anyway you look at it, it is a devastating shame.

@tends2dogs Quoted fromthe prepublication:

"[5] Our patient was immunocompromised, because of Waldenström’s macroglobulinemia treated with B-cell-depleting therapy, resulting in a declined humoral immunity.[6] However, it was shown that B-cell-depleting therapy does not necessarily result in life- threatening disease, suggesting that the innate immune response and T-cell immunity can be sufficient to eliminate SARS-CoV-2.[7]"

@Mindy D    Exactly.  People don't realize the immune system is very complicated and so are the various chemotherapeutic agents used to treat cancer.  

Fact is, if SARS-CoV-2 was not circulating around out there, this woman would not have died when and how she died.  Yes, she might have later died from cancer.  She might have died later due to contracting West Nile virus.  She might have died later in a motor vehicle accident.  But in this situation she died due to SARS-CoV-2 being out there circulating around. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Did she ever test negative after her first infection? It didn’t state that, so she was apparently discharged way too soon. Prayers for her family. Another reminder there is still so much we don’t know about this virus.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@lovesrecess, in this country it is not a requirement to test negative before being discharged from the hospital.   I don't know about protocols in the Netherlands.  But suffice it to say that 59 days is a signficant amount of time in between infections. This case is tragic and also important since it lends to the body of evidence regarding this virus and what the range of possibility is with covid-19.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

Reading this story broke my heart.😞 Although top epidemiologists, and microbiologists explained early on the unique, and sometimes virulent behaviors of viruses; tragic examples such as this are difficult to process.😐

A potentially life saving therapy for her, proved to be the converse. Sadly, the person responsible for her exposure to this insidious disease, is completely oblivious. 

Several members of my family and I had the misfortune of contracting Covid early last month; because of our ages, and fairly good health, we recovered quickly. They are front line workers, and get VERY angry when they see the ambivalence of individuals who continue to refuse to comply with CDC guidelines; as do I!!😠

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles, so glad you and your family members recovered.  Boy, do I hear you about your family that are front line workers that get angry.  I have many friends that are nurses that are working in ICU taking care of covid patients or working on covid units.  I have posted before that they are fed up and if anyone would like to get back to normal, it is them.  They actually work with covid patients and see what covid does and  have to practice diligently to reduce their risk of contracting the virus and taking it home to their families.  One of them told me one evening she was tired of people that couldn't pass an 8th grade science class that all the sudden become experts on a virus, infection control, what makes sense, & what doesn't instead of listening to what the medical professionals know.  She gets furious. 

I hope you and your family members continue to stay healthy.  Hang in there! 

@pitdakota Thank you for your words of encouragement!😊 I can certainly relate to the frustration, and mental fatigue of your friends! They are HEROES, and have my deepest respect!👍👍

~~~All we need is LOVE💖