Respected Contributor

Re: Dutch Treat Reception ???

What will they think of next?

Honored Contributor

Is the reception at a restaurant or catered in a reception hall?

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

Virtual wedding. Just send in the gift.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How about being invited to a bridal shower but not the wedding?  I received a bridal shower invitation for a family member (or his intended bride at least).  I attended and took a nice gift.

It was only after that I was told no one was being invited to the wedding, as it was a very small, private family one.  Quite a while later my sister-in-law accidentally let it slip that she and my brother had been invited and attended the wedding!

She realized, as soon as she said it, that it was supposed to have been a "secret" and started falling over herself with "reasons" why they were among the "select few".  I haven't forgotten that; now I rarely bother to attend all the "showers" I'm invited to.  No thank you notes and half the time the recipient couldn't pick me out of the crowd.  Just an excuse for another gift.

A "Dutch Treat Reception"?  RSVP:  No.

Trusted Contributor

This is a new one to me. I think it's tacky.

I have known people invited to weddings where the food is pot-luck - brought by the guests. But that is stated up-front and I think that most people enjoy bringing food to parties (at least I do). I've not been to one but I have heard they are quite fun, and sometimes held in a park or at the beach.

I think if your friends were strapped for cash, a pot-luck reception would have been the better choice.

Let us know what you decide to do @Carmie.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

Virtual wedding. Just send in the gift.

Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Well that takes the cake. . . or lack thereof!

If you can't afford a meal, get married in the afternoon and have cake and punch. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Elope.  Get married at the church with 10 guests.  I can't believe people actually expect have a "go dutch" wedding.

I think so many weddings today have simply sunk to the lowest point of manners.  

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I don't go to obvious gift grab weddings and this one is screaming gift grab.Send back the RSVP that you will not be attending and absolutely do not send a gift.

I don't know anyone who would have a "gift grab" wedding thank goodness. My friends are not like that. 

Mine aren't either.  I've never heard the term "gift grab" except on these forums, and I've never been invited to a wedding that ever - by the wildest stretch of the imagination - felt like a gift grab.  

And I have been to a lot of weddings!!

Valued Contributor

There is a time and a place for guests to pay for their meal. It is NOT at a wedding reception. The bride and groom should provide whatever THEY can afford for their guests, even if just cake and mints. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just googled it and there's a lot of things that come up about it .... as though it's a normal option.   It's a new one to me.