Respected Contributor

Re: Dutch Treat Reception ???

@Carmie, are you going to go?

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Are gifts still expected?  

Yes!  That's the whole point of the tacky  wedding, to get the gifts.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@tansy wrote:

It doesn't say no gifts, so I would think one would be expected.

the invitation is for the church and is in a formal format.  There is a reception card and RSVP card and a copy of a resturant menu.  It is a reception for the son of a friend of mine.... His second wedding, the brides first.

Hmm, that seems really odd to me that they didn't state "no gifts".

I would think that if you expect guests to pay for their own meal, stating something to the effect of "no gifts please, your gift is your attendance" it could be actually a more affordable way to still have a nice get together to celebrate.  But asking guest to pay for their own dinner as well as the expectation that they would bring gifts...it would have to be someone I really, really loved and cared about to attend that sort of an event.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@tansy wrote:

It doesn't say no gifts, so I would think one would be expected.

the invitation is for the church and is in a formal format.  There is a reception card and RSVP card and a copy of a resturant menu.  It is a reception for the son of a friend of mine.... His second wedding, the brides first.

Wow!

Honored Contributor

I guess my thinking is that the newly- weds- to- be, should forgo the formal invitations, the expensive wedding gown, etc. and have a simple (affordable) reception sharing their joy of the marriage ceremony. 

Cake and coffee/tea is delightful.  I've never been to that kind of reception, but I'm dying for a piece of cake now.

Trusted Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Yes, it;s the tackiest thing a couple could ever do.  Hang your head in shame tacky.  I would have a champagne and cake reception before I would make my guests pay for their own meals.  

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree here... I've been to inexpensive weddings.  I've been to backyard receptions with homemade food on paper plates.  I've been to receptions with nothing but a couple of kegs and appetizers.  They were fun, festive, happy and not at all tacky at all.   But I've never be sent a menu and been asked to buy my own dinner.  That is tacky.

Sorry, just my opinion, but if you can't afford but still want a "fancy" wedding, you need to make it an appetizer only, budget friendly event.  Like Chrystal says, make it a champagne and cake event.  Not this...

Honored Contributor

No. Have never been invited to one of these weddings. In fact, I have never heard of them

Honored Contributor

@Beachy1 wrote:

@Carmie, are you going to go?

I don't know.  I just opened the invite about an hour ago and was shocked.  I already attended the first marriage of this young man about three years ago.  The marriage didn't even last a year.

I have to think about this.... I may just go to the church.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tacky, just like cash bars and potluck ones. They should just elope.

Is there a menu price list and you send a check?

Esteemed Contributor

I would take that kind of invitation as a way of saying we'd really like to have all our friends and family at the reception but can't afford it.

For a money strapped couple and those that would really like to attend both the church service and a reception dinner it could be a win/win situation. 

This way no one is left being invited to the wedding service but not the reception.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.