Honored Contributor

Re: Dutch Treat Reception ???

@Carmie wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Carmie---Speaking of, have you seen the registry for this couple?  I bet it is an eye opener.

I don't think there is a registry.  It is common in our area to only give cash gifts so a registry isn't needed.

There might be one if she is having a wedding shower.  I haven't been invited to a shower and my friend ( the grooms mother ) hasn't mentioned going to one.

The bride is originally from Vermont and we are in Pennsylvania, so maybe her folks are having a shower for her in Vermont.

There is no wedding party, just Best Man and Matron of Honor.  It looks like a small affair.

I think it is a shame that in 20 years these brides who only got cash for a wedding gift will not have any beautiful little treasures to look back on and think of the feelings of that day and remember the person who gave them that vase or candy dish or teapot.There is so much more emotion to a wedding gift than it's usefullness or it's $$$ value. I treasure each and every wedding gift I recieved. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Carmie---Speaking of, have you seen the registry for this couple?  I bet it is an eye opener.

I don't think there is a registry.  It is common in our area to only give cash gifts so a registry isn't needed.

There might be one if she is having a wedding shower.  I haven't been invited to a shower and my friend ( the grooms mother ) hasn't mentioned going to one.

The bride is originally from Vermont and we are in Pennsylvania, so maybe her folks are having a shower for her in Vermont.

There is no wedding party, just Best Man and Matron of Honor.  It looks like a small affair.

I think it is a shame that in 20 years these brides who only got cash for a wedding gift will not have any beautiful little treasures to look back on and think of the feelings of that day and remember the person who gave them that vase or candy dish or teapot.There is so much more emotion to a wedding gift than it's usefullness or it's $$$ value. I treasure each and every wedding gift I recieved. 

@151949 Alternatively, in 20 years gift items will just be more things to divide up when they get divorced. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@151949 Alternatively, in 20 years gift items will just be more things to divide up when they get divorced. 

Having never been divorced I can't relate. BUT my first husband died unexpectantly when I was only 30 and all I have left of him are those few belongings we shared, many of them wedding gifts.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

Or donated. Who wants those memories? 

Respected Contributor

Not everybody puts value into a teapot or a candy dish or a crystal vase. 

There is nothing wrong with that.

Honored Contributor

@Beachy1 wrote:

You TOTALLY missed the point!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Beachy1 wrote:

The point is you put a sentimental value/good memories on these wedding gifts.

Others will not, if they get a divorce. Some people don't hang unto material items, but the memories.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Beachy1 wrote:

I don't think I did. 

Not everybody puts value into those types of things. 

Honored Contributor

How sad for people to be planning their divorce when they are getting married. ie: I don't want wedding gifts becauise I would have to divide them up when I get divorced. How incredibly sad is that? Why do they bother to get married in the first place.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think depending on the financial circumstances of the Bride and Groom I would not be offended by this sort of invite.  I of course would consider first my relationship to the bride and groom also before taking offense.  In a way I look at it as a gift to the bride and groom in that they may not be able financially  to fork out such an expense, and reasons being to put some of their saved monies towards their honeymoon or future together?

I think that there are other things to sweat over in life than something such as this truly.   To each there own.  Every couple is different.  A decision each person invited to can make their own decision based on how close they are to both, and then go or not go.  If I were truly happy for the couple and saw that they were truly happy, I would not be offended, a small price to pay really towards a celebration for love of two people for a lifetime hopefully ~