Super Contributor

Re: Duracell batteries leaking

Thank You, WSfan.. I have done that with the Q-Tip.. I too have called the company & I told that my VPH Mercury glass lamp was completely ruined among a couple of more items.. They sent me coupons &  gift card for $75; this was about a year ago.. I never used their coupons.. But, let me say this that I let them have it.. Earlier this evening I went to change the batteries on another piece of VPH & there it was again; leaking..  These were new batteries I had put in.. I'm going to try to return the unopened batteries..

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've also notied the same issue with Duracell batteries - particularly in my flameless candles. If I allow them to become completely spent, I find that several of them have leaked when I change them out (every 3-4 months).  I can't say that I've noticed this when using the same batteries in other devices, but it is definitely a problem in my flameless candles. Some of the candles are from the Q, but it also happens with the ones purchased elsewhere.

Oddly enough, this hasn't happened with any of my cheap AA batteries from Aldi.  I bought a bunch of them last holiday season - $2.99 for packages of 24 batteries.  They don't last quite as long as other brands, but at least none of them have leaked!

Most of the Duracells I've purchased were in large packages from Amazon. I suppose that it is possible that they were counterfeit. It's hard to tell sometimes when items come in Amazons "frustration free" packaging.  I do know for sure that all of the batteries had expiration dates far into the future. I go through a lot of them around here.

Super Contributor

I buy mostly from Shoprite supermarket & one time from COSTCO & both purchases the batteries have leaked..  Made in China junk.. 

Honored Contributor

I buy Duracell C & D in Costco.  Haven't had any leaking problems.  I put them in luminara, candle impressions and VPH items.

I use ray-o-vac and Walgreen AA & AAA with no issues.

Are the candles, etc. run daily?  I've read on the board, batteries have leaked when left in items that aren't run.  Or items are stored with batteries left in them.  

Valued Contributor

@classic wrote:

I've always used Duracell batteries as far back as I can remember; but over the last couple of years they keep leaking.. It's so frustrating.. Being allergic to fragrances; I love my flameless candles.. I have lots of VPH illuminated spheres & decor... Now with these batteries leaking, these products are not usable.. One time I called the company & they told me that the ones with the silver band between the copper top & the bottom part would prevent them from leaking .. Well, they still leak.. Urrrr.!!! ... Has anyone had similar experience  with Duracell.????... . I'm thinking where I can report this company.. Of course; like most products of late; companies are using inferior materials.. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

I've noticed they leak too. Never had this problem either until, like you, the past couple of years.

Super Contributor

Yes, GCR18.. I do run them daily.. I love my CI, luminara & VPH .. When I'm not using an item, I always take the batteries.. Much thanks for your input.. Will look into Ray-o-vac..

Honored Contributor

I have a package of AA batteries and noticed last week one or two were leaking.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Yes, MathisFan.. Im going to try & return unopened Duracell batteries & switching to a different brand;  but, next week I'm going to look & see where I can report this company..

Super Contributor

Kachina624, it's only going to get worse.. Believe me, I love my flameless candles & other items & I've lost quite a few items; that after wiping them clean with vinegar & a Q-Tip, they will not work.. Like I stated earlier, I'm looking to report this company.. 

Valued Contributor

I had two flameless window candles that I had in my windows. One of the Duracell batteries that were brand new, from CVS, did leak in one of the candles.

I called Duracell, the Toll Free number on the package and they mailed a check for the cost of the two candles. I just wanted them to know about the new battery that leaked in one day of use.

I would call them and tell them that the item was damaged from their batteries leaking.