Honored Contributor

Re: Dumb Teens, But Not All Bad

[ Edited ]

In our city its a new and dangerous game---drag racing on expressways and in many cases even driving the wrong way while doing it---many innocent people have been injured or killed.....!!!!  Driving antics today have gone way beyond just driving above the speed limit....

Its up to the parents to instill the right stuff as they grow up and especially when they start to drive...especially considering their age and immaturity and lack of experience in driving...

Ultimately if the teen's childish antics result in someone getting injured or killed there will be no more smiling faces laughing or joking ....especially when the parents will be held liable and are sued and their insurance company puts them in a high risk category and the parents pay through the nose in insurance premiums..As long as that child is under 18 the parents are held responsible......So if the parents take their teen's driving lightly they are the ones that will pay BIG TIME for their lack of parenting and ignoring their part in teaching responsibility.....!!!! 

Look at that case where teens were taunting a jogger and "hitting him just a little, just for fun"...they ended up killing him and the girl just brushed it off and no remorse what so ever, she didnt think it was a big deal, she was angry and went to her grandmother's and destroyed things in her house because the grandmother took away the car...SMH!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

ALL ages can be idiot drivers, lumping 1 age group all together really isn't fair. Yes, some teens feel invincible & do stupid things, so do adults!! I can't count how many full grown adults I see doing dumb stuff in their vehicles--texting, smoking & tossing their used butts out the window, being aggressive drivers, driving over & under the speed limits by extremes, etc. etc. Age doesn't discriminate being idiot drivers!!!! Nor does the type of vehicle. I see all of the above in junk cars to Bentleys....equal opportunity dumb#$@@# in my opinion.
Honored Contributor

You did the right thing!  And so did all the others who called.

If one of those teens had fallen backwards, now there might be an unintentional death that would hang over an innocent driver that struck him.  And it wouldn't be their fault!

Trusted Contributor

UGH.  As a parent of a Teenager who lost his driver's license  - Yes Lost his license after only having it 3 months -  and another going through driver's ed right now these kids are lucky they didn't get hurt.  I also understand the mentality that they are kids and I use to do stuff like that when I was a teen as well.

I'm sure if the police officer visits the parents home that would put enough of a fear into those kids.  I wouldn't take keys and a license away forever.

I do agree with the poster who indicated that senior drivers can be just as dangerous.  I wish we had additional driving tests as people get older.  Taking the keys away is not easy when someone is elderly but I see many every single day that should most definetly not be driving.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm   If one of the knuckleheads fell out on the road and some swerved to miss him causing a wreck. What if the driver lost control and sideswiped another car or a telephone pole with the kid getting crushed.

They are not the only ones that could get hurt or killed.

If I had done that and my parents got wind of it, sweet baby James, I would't have seen the light of day until the cows came home.

Esteemed Contributor

@mimomof4   My MIL was a hazard on the road from the time I  met her. She was in her 50s then. I refused to ride with her and wouldn't let my kids go with her either.

In in 70s my husband was the luckly one who went to a Dr. appt with her and he told the Dr. she should not drive anymore. Man, was she p*ssed. She went up one side of my hubby and down the other. Oh well, better she be mad at him than her kill someone or herself.

Honored Contributor

Not enough was demanded of these kids by their parents.  Period.  Old enough to drive and they did not learn about consequences because they likely never had any.  It is epidemic in our culture now. 

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@mimomof4   My MIL was a hazard on the road from the time I  met her. She was in her 50s then. I refused to ride with her and wouldn't let my kids go with her either.

In in 70s my husband was the luckly one who went to a Dr. appt with her and he told the Dr. she should not drive anymore. Man, was she p*ssed. She went up one side of my hubby and down the other. Oh well, better she be mad at him than her kill someone or herself.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 We are going through something similar with my MIL.  For years my kids did not want to get into a car with her and I wouldn't let them.  She has gotten lost many times (although she stopped telling us when she did)  She was smart and would cancel Dr appoints which my SIL would make for her knowing that this would come up.  Then finally was forced to have my SIL go to an appointment and was told she can't drive.  If a car and a set of keys is left with her she WILL drive a car.  My husband told her for many years she needed to stop driving.

I wish that these medical professionals reached out to the state agencies to remove driving privilege otherwise they can continue to renew their driver's license. Through court proceedings I received a letter from the state removing my son's driving privilege but my MIL so far has not received one.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Not enough was demanded of these kids by their parents.  Period.  Old enough to drive and they did not learn about consequences because they likely never had any.  It is epidemic in our culture now. 

@Sooner I have to completely disagree with your statement.  I believe many people say stuff like this and don't take the time to reflect on how they behaved as a teenager and the crazy things they did.  I remember doing crazy stuff like this when I was a teen 30 years ago and it had nothing to do with no consequences brought on by my parents.   It was the fact that as teenagers we FEEL we are invincible.  Sometimes all it takes is a reality check from a police officer scolding us to remind us.  My husband tries to tell me he was a perfect teenager.  I didn't know him then but knowing him as an adult I don't believe him.

I ask you to really look back on your teenage years and see what crazy stuff you did that would cause you to question your decision making.  Have some empathy and put yourself in these kids shoes.

We can't blame parents for kids bad decisions.  As a parent of a kid who is still making bad decisions and got himself in legal trouble I am at my whits end.  I have done everything possible but nothing changes.  I guess since you must be a better parent than I am feel free to take him on and see if you can get him to make better choices.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimomof4 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner I have to completely disagree with your statement.  I believe many people say stuff like this and don't take the time to reflect on how they behaved as a teenager and the crazy things they did.  I remember doing crazy stuff like this when I was a teen 30 years ago and it had nothing to do with no consequences brought on by my parents.   It was the fact that as teenagers we FEEL we are invincible.  Sometimes all it takes is a reality check from a police officer scolding us to remind us.  My husband tries to tell me he was a perfect teenager.  I didn't know him then but knowing him as an adult I don't believe him.

I ask you to really look back on your teenage years and see what crazy stuff you did that would cause you to question your decision making.  Have some empathy and put yourself in these kids shoes.

We can't blame parents for kids bad decisions.  As a parent of a kid who is still making bad decisions and got himself in legal trouble I am at my whits end.  I have done everything possible but nothing changes.  I guess since you must be a better parent than I am feel free to take him on and see if you can get him to make better choices.

So families of those whose loved ones that are injured or killed are supposed to waive it off and say well we cant blame them they are "just teens being teens"......🙄

My parents laid down the law to us teens when we got our license.....and so did the parents of my friends....they made it clear...you are driving in what can be used as a "weapon"--- .a vehicle which could injure or kill someone.  And they stressed safety and added just one ticket....whether it be for speeding, or anything else, even as much as a parking ticket would result in no more driving privileges ..........FEAR OF PARENTS and the embarrassment of having to go back to riding the school bus again was enough for us!!!!  Yes, we acted silly on occasion, but it was definitely NOT when we were in a car--- be it as a driver or passenger!  And that's the truth! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”