Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I use Dukes (when I can find it) fora lot of salads and things where I want a more neutral mayo taste and consistency.  More like homemade mayo.

For tuna salad or something where I want a brighter, more lemon flavor, sharper, I use Hellman's.

For a few salads and some sandwiches NOTHING will replace Miracle Whip for me.   And for those of you are horrified, it's just a sandwich spread for crying out loud.  Some  like it some don't.

So, to me it is not "better" but which is "better" for specific uses and recipes. 

Gasp, I like Miracle Whip too, for some things... A ripe tomato sandwich made with MW is hard to beat... 

A ripe tomato sandwich with MW might be hard to beat but please don't try it with a 'mater sammich.  That would be sacrilege.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I have always used Best Foods but did try Dukes just to see what is was all about.  I have friends in San Diego that rave about Japanese mayo (Kewpie) so I ran that down and tried it also.  Final result - Best Foods for me.

Respected Contributor

@Sueliz

My brother is strictly Miracle Whip.  When he eats my potato salad, (I switched to Hellmann's for potato salad) he gives me an evil eye and says "You didn't use Miracle Whip."   Sometimes I can fool him depending upon what I use to spice up the Hellmann's.  I don't tell him until after he has eaten it though.

Honored Contributor

I like duke's

Contributor

I live in North Carolina and I grew up eating Dukes. I have tried other brands, but I think Dukes is the best and I never stray anymore. It has zero sugar and I like that it isn't a sweet mayo. It is also something I can eat when I go on a lower carb diet.

Everyone is different. You may not like it. When my sister in law moved here from New York, she poked fun at our southern obsession with Dukes. She usually sticks to Hellmans, but that is too sweet for me.

Honored Contributor

DH and I were both born and raised in the South.  As for me and mine we eat DUKE’s and only DUKE’s.

Nothing beats A big ole’ Mater Samich with DUKE’s

@SurferWife

WOW!  More of that Southern gal thing.

When we lived in Utah for 18 months friends and family kept us supplied with DUKE’s.  Bless Them!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  Your buying a big jar of Hellmann's at Costco reminds me and makes me chuckle over us buying the industrial sized jar of Hellmann's at Walmart sometimes. They don't always have it but if we're there and they do, we've been known to buy it. Of course we also have to have a small jar to fill from the big one!

Respected Contributor

My co-worker told me about Duke's so I tried it and never went back. It's the only one I buy now. When my kids were growing up they preferred Miracle Whip over mayo on their sandwiches but when I'd make potato or pasta salad, I'd use half MW and half mayo and everybody loved the results. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Duke's Real Mayonnaise

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD

You asked where Blue Plate mayo is made..............by Reily Foods in New Orleans, Louisiana, since 1927, according to label on container.

Contains soybean oil, distilled vinegar, egg yolks, water, sugar, salt, calcium disodium EDTA (to protect quality, natural flavor.

Respected Contributor

This was posted on the QVC forums a while back (by me)...........

Taste-testers rate the best mayonnaise brands

The latest issue of Cook's Country  lists three of "the most well-loved mayos".

1.  Hellman's (sold as Best Foods west of the Rockies)......."the most popular brand in the U.S.   Accounts for about half of all mayo sales.

2.  Duke's... "made with cider vinegar, which gives it a sharp flavor.  It has ardent fans in many Southern States."

3.  Blue Plate........"the test kitchen's favorite mayo is made with egg yolks, not whole eggs.  It must be mail-ordered in most of the country