Honored Contributor

I use Dukes (when I can find it) fora lot of salads and things where I want a more neutral mayo taste and consistency.  More like homemade mayo.

For tuna salad or something where I want a brighter, more lemon flavor, sharper, I use Hellman's.

For a few salads and some sandwiches NOTHING will replace Miracle Whip for me.   And for those of you are horrified, it's just a sandwich spread for crying out loud.  Some  like it some don't.

So, to me it is not "better" but which is "better" for specific uses and recipes. 

Respected Contributor

For a long time we have been using the Kraft Olive Oil Mayo and will stick with it  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Never met a mayo I didn't like!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Hellmann’s is all we use-regular, not the light.

Respected Contributor

I grew up with Miracle Whip as did a lot of people in my region.  I don't think I even tasted mayonnaise until I was in my late twenties.  My taste buds initially said "Yuck".

Gradually I started to experiment.  I now have a container of both Miracle Whip and Hellmann's in my fridge.  For sandwiches I like Miracle Whip, for potatoe salad I use Hellmann's.

I recently tried Duke's because I heard so much about it.  The difference between taste of it and Hellmann's is subtle to me.  Overall, I prefer Hellmann's.  I am going to try Heinz's.  They make such great products I want to see if they can top Hellmann's.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I use Dukes (when I can find it) fora lot of salads and things where I want a more neutral mayo taste and consistency.  More like homemade mayo.

For tuna salad or something where I want a brighter, more lemon flavor, sharper, I use Hellman's.

For a few salads and some sandwiches NOTHING will replace Miracle Whip for me.   And for those of you are horrified, it's just a sandwich spread for crying out loud.  Some  like it some don't.

So, to me it is not "better" but which is "better" for specific uses and recipes. 

Gasp, I like Miracle Whip too, for some things... A ripe tomato sandwich made with MW is hard to beat... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: Duke's Real Mayonnaise

[ Edited ]

Like everything we eat, there are individual preferences and things we don't, as individuals, prefer... We're talking mayo here... To me, there isn't a huge difference between them. I do prefer Hellmans and Heinz to Duke's but will use whatever I happen to have and frankly, Kraft along with some of the generic store brands, are fine too... No need to get wrapped around the axle over something like mayo preferences...

Smiley Very Happy  

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mayo I am not too picky, but NO Miraclewhip!

I have never bought Duke's.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Gasp, I like Miracle Whip too, for some things... A ripe tomato sandwich made with MW is hard to beat... 

@stevieb, Lol, I love MW on sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper!  I use Hellmann's on sandwiches, egg salad etc. My family is horrified that I like the taste of MW, funny how people feel so strongly about their mayo!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My grocery has an area set aside for carts of clearance-priced items nearing their sell-by date.  One of these carts was filled with Duke's mayonnaise on my last visit.  I might have tried it if the dates had not been so advanced.  Maybe it just isn't as popular in my area of Wisconsin?  I'm another one who buys the big jar of Hellmann's at Costco.

I've never considered Miracle Whip to be a "mayonnaise", but more of a salad dressing /sandwich spread.