Respected Contributor

Re: Duchess of Sussex Will Attend U.S. Open

@Tyak you must have really disliked Connors and McEnroe!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For a moment, please entertain another idea. 

I truly do not want to get involved in a fool's errand of trying to convince those who have a negative view of Meghan to change their mind, but this thought has occurred to me this past week:  It is possible that so many Meghan acts thought "offensive" and disrespectful were inspired and driven by Harry.  Or, let's accept for the sake of argument that if they originated with Meghan, Harry wholeheartedly agreed with them.

Yes, Meghan seems to be and, I believe is, a strong and influential sort of person.  However, have you ever considered how much Harry has believed himself to have suffered and put up with as "the spare" all these years?  William has always been "the heir" and Harry "the spare."  What a horrible second-class role to be handed.  And, too, he does have an impulsive nature that has gotten him into hot water quite a few times before Meghan entered his life.

It is possible that what appears to be disrespectful of the Royal Family is, in part, a necessary factor in Harry's freeing himself from feeling like an unimportant "nobody" and getting a greater sense of who he is as an individual.

Months ago I hazarded a guess that this couple could end up in the U.S. as residents.  The other day, I read the same thing in one of the gossip columns. 

I think to survive and have a sense of self, Harry and his family might have to cut themselves from the main family in what could be ugly ways.  Like surgery.  Not pleasant but necessary. 

Honored Contributor

I for one think it is hugely possible Megan is blamed for stuff Harry decides. She is an easy target. I think Harry latched on to her ,because she was different, and being Royal has never meant much to him..I have always felt the UK was very lucky William was born first

I like Harry and I like Megan, and I wouldn't doubt that at some point Harry might renounce any claim to the throne, he is far down the pecking order anyway

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just get so tired of the idea that if a criticism of her rubs you the wrong way, you must worship her. Please. And, yes, much of the speculation based on tabloid press, hard and fast "royal rules" that are anything but, and crazy conspiracy theories (remember -- she wasn't really pregnant, it was all a fake belly, and there was a surrogate involved [eyeroll]) rubs me the wrong way.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I truly do not want to get involved in a fool's errand of trying to convince those who have a negative view of Meghan to change their mind, but this thought has occurred to me this past week:  It is possible that so many Meghan acts thought "offensive" and disrespectful were inspired and driven by Harry.  Or, let's accept for the sake of argument that if they originated with Meghan, Harry wholeheartedly agreed with them.

Yes, Meghan seems to be and, I believe is, a strong and influential sort of person.  However, have you ever considered how much Harry has believed himself to have suffered and put up with as "the spare" all these years?  William has always been "the heir" and Harry "the spare."  What a horrible second-class role to be handed.  And, too, he does have an impulsive nature that has gotten him into hot water quite a few times before Meghan entered his life.

It is possible that what appears to be disrespectful of the Royal Family is, in part, a necessary factor in Harry's freeing himself from feeling like an unimportant "nobody" and getting a greater sense of who he is as an individual.

Months ago I hazarded a guess that this couple could end up in the U.S. as residents.  The other day, I read the same thing in one of the gossip columns. 

I think to survive and have a sense of self, Harry and his family might have to cut themselves from the main family in what could be ugly ways.  Like surgery.  Not pleasant but necessary. 

My money is on that (bolded).  Harry has been "whipped" since the wedding or maybe even before.

As far as how he felt/feels about being "the spare," it could be he's counting his lucky stars that he isn't the heir.  It has to be an easier life.  I can't imagine Will doing soem of the things Harry has done. 

Did Harry act out because he's upset that he isn't the heir...or did he act out because he could, because he isn't the heir?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

How do we even know she turned down an invitation? Says who? Tabloid trash? I guess we're so used to being lied to we'll now believe anything. Did all the Queen's grandchildren go to Balmoral? I don't remember seeing Eugenie and her husband or Zara and Mike Tindall. Do we know for sure that Harry and family didn't go?

H&M's choice not to attend Balmoral has been reported by many sources, some tabloid trash and some more 'respected' sources, including many more widely circulated US magazines (Harpers, Cosmo, In Style, to name a few)... Some are calling it a 'snub' some are saying it's 'disrespecting' the queen and some are simply reporting that they declined the invitation... Some outlets have suggested the queen was disappointed by their decision. Suggestions they declined because of the youth of their son were disputed by references made to their recent trips to France and Ibiza. It's generally anticipated that most of the family visit Balmoral at some point during the queen's stay, which generally lasts until October. This was reported to have been H&M's first year to visit Balmoral as a couple until they declined the invitation to visit.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Late Saturday morning and the anti-Meghan posts continue, how refreshing!

As does the MM defense league... Also refreshing... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

My money is on that (bolded).  Harry has been "whipped" since the wedding or maybe even before.

As far as how he felt/feels about being "the spare," it could be he's counting his lucky stars that he isn't the heir.  It has to be an easier life.  I can't imagine Will doing soem of the things Harry has done. 

Did Harry act out because he's upset that he isn't the heir...or did he act out because he could, because he isn't the heir?

@esmerelda...  I'm sort of there with you. I think Harry likes to put it out there that he's in charge but doubt he takes too many steps without permission... Also imagine he feels blessed not to be a contender for the throne... He has all the perks without a great deal of the responsibility and, over time, will probably be far less visible than he is now... These two will never be 'private citizens' but the public's interest in them will fade as William's children get older...

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

The vicious British tabloid press aside, I do not know for the life of me why people can't leave this young couple alone. 

Because they keep doing things that keep people talking.  Do you really think they don't understand that?  Not all members of the Royal family are so talked about because they don't have to be talked about.  

And they are adults edging into middle age.  They aren't a young couple.  They are both seasoned veterans of the public eye and the press.  After all Harry's antics you think he doesn't understand how it works?  

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Tyak you must have really disliked Connors and McEnroe!

I can't speak for Tyak, but speaking for myself, while I respected their skills just as I respect hers,  I didn't enjoy their on-court antics any more than I enjoy hers...