Honored Contributor

Duchess of Sussex - National Velvet connection

Today I'm watching 1944's National Velvet, with Mickey Rooney and Elizabeth Taylor.  Angela Lansbury played her older sister, Edwina.  Based on the book by Enid Bagnold, it was to have taken place in Sussex, England.

As Meghan Markle is now the Duchess of Sussex, I have to wonder if she is aware of this particular connection.

Last year the home where Ms. Bagnold wrote the book was on the market for almost 3 million English pounds.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4219590/Home-Enid-Bagnold-wrote-National-Velvet-sale.html

I like to keep QVC posters up on the latest trivia!  Cheerio!

The grounds are a stunning feature of the property with a tennis court, swimming pool, kitchen garden and a wild garden

Related image

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Duchess of Sussex - National Velvet connection

@GingerPeach Thanks for posting. I love trivia re royal wedding too. I saw National Velvet not too long ago.🐎

Honored Contributor

Why would Markle have a connection to that movie other than where it was filmed?

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Today I'm watching 1944's National Velvet, with Mickey Rooney and Elizabeth Taylor.  Angela Lansbury played her older sister, Edwina.  Based on the book by Enid Bagnold, it was to have taken place in Sussex, England.

As Meghan Markle is now the Duchess of Sussex, I have to wonder if she is aware of this particular connection.

Last year the home where Ms. Bagnold wrote the book was on the market for almost 3 million English pounds.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4219590/Home-Enid-Bagnold-wrote-National-Velvet-sale.html

I like to keep QVC posters up on the latest trivia!  Cheerio!

The grounds are a stunning feature of the property with a tennis court, swimming pool, kitchen garden and a wild garden

Related image

Does she know where Sussex is?

Respected Contributor

I loved that movie as a child . ET will always be the face of Velvet.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Why would Markle have a connection to that movie other than where it was filmed?

I don't understand your question.

Markle is now Duchess of Sussex.  National Velvet took place in Sussex.  That is the connection.  

I didn't say she had a connection to the movie.  I said Sussex was the connection.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach the title of your thread says "National Velvet connection", not Sussex connection. Maybe you should change it.Woman Happy

Meghan is not connected to that movie at all. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @SilleeMee, but the connection is that National Velvet was about a girl in Sussex, and the author Enid Bagnold lived in Sussex, and Meghan is now Duchess of Sussex.

That IS the connection.  

I didn't say she was involved with the movie; I said the connection between the movie and Meghan was Sussex.  I hope that is now clear.